Chapter One: Prosthetic Leg

The amputation happened just below the knee on her left leg. The surgery took about three hours and fifty six minutes, and she was stuck inside the hospital for three weeks. She didn't go to school for another month.

Because of this, she had to resign as the ace of her volleyball team, leaving it to her junior to take care of everything. She wasn't physically able to play several sets of competitive volleyball for a long, long time, that much she knew.

The day life fell down on her was the day she'll never forget. All her previous and future accomplishments vanished like dust to the wind. Everything disappeared. During this time, it actually tightened her relationship with her younger brother.

Physical therapy helped her with the new leg she'd gotten. She didn't want to be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life, which would have been unrealistic anyway. However, it took her some time to walk on something she couldn't feel, and had to go around by wheelchair around the school.

The day she stood up was also a day she would never forget.

She wheeled her way right into gym class after a physical assessment, and promptly parked it in the corner like she always did, and stood up, heading forwards to join in with the dodgeball game.

She remembered seeing her some of her classmates tense and tear up, some even actually beginning to actually cry. The gym teacher clapped her proudly on the shoulder and praised her for not giving up and staying strong.

And (F/n) had lifted her chin with the first smile she had in months, feeling like the world was slowly apologizing for what it'd done to her.

Soon after this, Volleyball Monthly contacted her and asked if they could share her story and get an interview with her. Of course, she agreed. Her old team also got an interview. She was glad she helped them win one last time, even if they weren't playing at all.

She smiled to herself as she walked down the hallway, remembering what she was even walking down here for.

"Isn't that a third year?" Some students whispered as she passed. She was in the second year part of the school, so of course it would earn her odd looks.

"It's (L/n)-san. She's the one with the prosthetic leg." Others whispered, pointing out the obviously different looking part on her body.

She ignored the whisperings and gossip, and poked her head into the class of her favourite setter.

"Oi, Kenma." She waved her hand, and said boy looked up from the game he was playing. The boy was her neighbour, and he had constantly gone over to her house with video games to keep her company when she wasn't in school. He even visited the hospital for her every weekend or so before she was allowed out. "Do you think you can give me a few tosses before your practice?"

The boy blinked at her, then nodded. "Sure. I'll be there soon. Can you set up the gym? If you don't mind."

"Consider it done. Thanks, Kenma." She waved her hand at him, and turned away from the classroom, heading down to the gymnasium and beginning to set up the nets. She'd already put on some shorts and her old Nekoma sweatshirt, knowing full well that the school uniform would be a horrible thing to wear when playing volleyball.

She was just finishing tying the strings when Kenma slipped inside quietly, setting his stuff down beside her bags and picking up a ball from the basket she'd wheeled out.

"I'm aiming for ten today. You up for it?" She asks as she stretched out her arms and legs, and the bi haired boy nodded.

"You ready?" He asks, spinning the ball in his hands.