Chapter Twenty-One: BICEPS

"Wow! (F/n)-chan!" Bokuto called as the Fukurodani team entered the gymnasium. "Sick ride!"

The girl laughed, pushing down on the wheels of her wheelchair and heading towards the team to greet the managers, and for once, speak with someone more level headed (a.k.a Akaashi).

She seemed less depressed today, which gave team Nekoma a little bit of time to relax (especially poor Kenma).

"BICEPS!" Bokuto suddenly hollered, causing several people, including (F/n), to jump. The boy grabbed her arm, and pushed up her sleeve to reveal her well defined arms. "Dude, you need to flex."

"Bokuto-san, no..." Akaashi's quiet and defeated voice muttered, and (F/n) laughed.

"Maybe later." She said, pulling her arm away. He let out a whine, but it was cut off by Kuroo throwing a volleyball at him.

"Karasuno's coming soon. You gotta make an impression on them, man! Think of the children!" Kuroo announced, and a collective sigh escaped from the managers and setters.

As if on cue, Karasuno entered the gym, clearly in high spirits. Both Shimizu and Yachi zoomed over to (F/n)  and greeted her quickly before dodging Noya and Tanaka.

"(F/N)-CHAN! WHAT HAPPENED!?" Noya screeched, and the girl backed up a bit from the two.

She sweatdropped. "Remember when I fell back at camp? Had to have surgery, so I can't walk on my leg for a bit."

"WHAT!?" Fretted Tanaka, then grabbed onto her shoulders. "CAN I GET YOU ANYTHING!? DOES IT HURT!?"

She pinched the bridge of her nose, and that's when Yamamoto butted in. "Oi, she's Nekoma's property. Worry about your own hot managers."

"Taketora, I will slaughter you." (F/n) whispered, closing her eyes and furrowing her eyebrows, letting out a long sigh.

"Okay, leave her be." Suga approached, ushering the two second years away as Yaku snapped at Yamamoto, which scared him off as well.

The two boys spun off on apologies and their embarrassment, but (F/n) was spared when Akaashi quietly grabbed the handles to her wheelchair and pushed her to where the other managers were chilling. Silently, (F/n) reached into her bag and dug out a chocolate bar, handing it to him as a thank you.

The setter smiled, then quickly headed off to where Bokuto was. The owl eyed captain was currently hollering about a spike that just got past Kuroo, who was also yelling.

"Handfuls." The three third year managers said in unison, and they all exchanged slightly painful smiles. The other two girls just glanced at each other and shrugged.

"You kids will understand when you're older." Shimizu assured, and they all laughed slightly.

"It looks like (F/n)-chan is in a good mood, right Kageyama?" Hinata said when they were a fair distance away from the ladies. The boy in question simply shrugged with a hum, spinning a volleyball in his hands. Hinata let out a huff, then went to go spike Kageyama's toss.

"Sure." The black haired boy finally said. "She seems to be in a good mood."

Hinata gave him a look. "Wow, it's like you can see right into her soul or something, Kageyama."

Kageyama narrowed his eyes at the spiker, and the boy in turn let out a casual whistle. Kageyama huffed, and tossed another ball. "There's something on her mind. There's nothing I can do about it, though."

"What are you, her boyfriend? It's like you know exactly how she's feeling. Who knew that our little king could get himself a lady." Tsukishima jabbed as Yamaguchi snickered from behind him.

"You bastard! Of course she isn't my girlfriend!" The setter snapped.

"Now, now, now." Tanaka soothed as he jogged past to go meet up with Yamamoto and Noya. "Don't go tainting the good reputation of Karasuno with your petty arguments!"

"What reputation?" Tsukki muttered.

Hinata stiffened. "Petty?"

*****

(F/n) looked horribly tired by the time practice was wrapping up. The managers decided respectfully to leave her be, joining the boy's for cleanup. It was shocking that the girl stayed put, just looking down at her hands as she sober her fingers together silently.

The fact that she was unable to walk seemed to drag her down ever so slowly. Kuroo had seen more than a few bruises on her arms when she pulled off her sweater, most likely from trying to stand up out of spite.

The captain pushed his lips in a slight pout, watching her as he helped Kenma fold up a net. He bit the inside of his cheek thoughtfully, and Kenma let out a quiet sigh, taking Kuroo's end of the net and calling over Hinata for help.

"Kuroo-san, staring at (F/n)-senpai won't make her feel any better." Akaashi passed the Nekoma captain while hauling a few volleyballs to one of the baskets.

"Hey! Why don't you call me 'senpai'?" Bokuto weaved around Kuroo, frowning at the setter.

Kenma thanked Hinata, who beamed them bounded off to Inouka. "Probably because he respects her as a senpai, Bokuto-san." He murmured quietly before quickly heading with Akaashi to the storage room.

Bokuto pouted. "I was just rejected, bro. And you'd better go comfort her because I think she might start crying." The yellow eyed boy patted his fellow captain on the shoulder, then pushed him towards the girl.

Kuroo turned back to give him a look, but all he got was a thumbs up and a smirk. Bokuto then ran off to go complain to Akaashi, causing Kuroo to furrow his eyebrows in slight irritation. He then went to pick up his bag, and strode over to where (F/n) was.