Chapter Nineteen: Visit

Kuroo watched (F/n) carefully after practice, almost to the point of staring. Luckily, Yamamoto commented on it and he managed to mask his glances. At least, a little bit.

She clearly disliked her wheelchair, often pushing herself up with her arms to adjust her seat. The girl didn't seem to want any help from anyone, and actually managed just fine with the nets.

She started trying to pick up volleyballs, but let out a frustrated sigh as she found out how restricted she was.

"Okay, I've had enough of your depression. Go wait by the door." Kuroo ordered, grabbing the handles of her wheelchair and gently pushing her towards the doors.

(F/n) bristled, and twisted back to glare at him. He rose his hands in the air defensively, and the rest of the team wisely decided to avoid the situation, quickly rushing off to grab their bags and say farewell to one another. Even Kenma escaped, even though he normally walked home with her.

She let out a growl, and rolled her way to her bag as Kuroo piled the last of the volleyballs and pushed the cart into the storage room. He made his way back to her, and she merely glared at him.

Instead of shying away, he held out his hand. "Phone." He ordered.

(F/n) blinked at him, then sighed, passing him her devise. Kuroo then pulled up her moms number and called her.

"Hi, miss (L/n)? Yes, this is Kuroo, (F/n)'s friend from the volleyball club. I was wondering if she could come to my house for a little bit?"

The girl's eyes widened, and she tried swapping her phone away from him. He simply stepped back, and gestured for her to be quiet as her mom answered.

"Yes, yes. I understand. Of course." The captain nodded. "She'll be fine. Alright, thank you. Goodbye."

He hung up, and tossed her phone back to her, then picked up his bag and placed it on her lap.

"What the shit, Kuroo." She hissed, and the boy gave her an innocent shrug.

"What's the point of holding it when I have a lovely manager to do so for me?" Kuroo cooed, opening the doors and helping her guide her wheelchair outside and down the ramp.

"That's sexist as hell." She pointed out. "I'm going to tell you now that I have a pocketknife in my bag, and I won't hesitate to cut you."

"That's rude, and I'm not trying to be sexist."

"Well, you're really bad at that." (F/n) puffed out her cheeks and hugged the bags to her as he rolled her off of the school grounds. "And you're the rude one."

"That's mean."

"Kuroo, what the heck."

The tension began to finally wash away, and the girl sighed, adjusting her position once again.

For the rest of the walk, the two were mostly silent. Except for Kuroo muttering 'same' when they saw a cat leap away from a songbird that apparently wanted to fight. This earned a small giggle from (F/n), which in turn made him blush at how cute it was.

They arrived at his house not too long after they saw the cat, and (F/n) was relieved to see that he didn't have super steep steps leading up to the door, so it was easy to haul both her and her wheelchair up.

The manager didn't speak as Kuroo unlocked the door and helped her inside. She pulled off her sweater, and padded it to the boy to hang up in the closet.

"I'm home with a friend!" Kuroo called, pushing the girl into the living room. A crash came from where (F/n) presumed was the kitchen, and several clatters afterwards. Then a woman poked her head out from around a wall.

She looked almost exactly like Kuroo, in ways. Messy bed head black hair, narrow catlike eyes, and a little lanky. She also had laugh lines at the corners of her eyes, as if she almost constantly smiled, which she proved when her lips cracked upwards. The only thing they didn't have in common were her eyes, which were a brilliant green.

"Is this your girlfriend?" She asked, her voice crackly with age, but it was pleasant.

A tinge of pink coloured the boy's ears, and he rapidly shook his head. "No! This is my manager!"

She rose a dubious eyebrow, then shrugged. "You really didn't do her any justice." The woman stated as she disappeared behind the wall and back into the kitchen once more.

"What?" (F/n) blinked.

"Don't listen to her." Kuroo said hurriedly, taking the bags off of her lap.

"He said you were pretty, my dear!" His mom called, followed by several more clatters and maybe a little cursing.

"What?" (F/n) blinked a little more rapidly, and Kuroo slammed his hands over her ears, yelling at his mom for a moment once he was sure she couldn't hear.

When he pulled his hands from her ears to storm into the kitchen, she caught his mom saying, "I'm just sayin' you two would be cute together!" before a loud hiss came from what she guessed was something the woman was cooking. Followed by more cursing.

A huff came from Kuroo. "Look at what you did, mom! You burnt a grilled cheese sandwich, the easiest thing to make."

"You know what, Tetsurou, just sit in the living room and make out with your 'manager'." His mom pushed him out of the kitchen, and waved to (F/n) as if nothing had happened, then disappeared once more.

"Mom, what the heck!?" He snapped.

"Language, dear! There's a guest!"

"Kuroo, your mom's a delight." (F/n) decided, and he flopped down on the couch with a defeated sigh.

At least she didn't seem to think the 'he says you're pretty' and the 'go make out' statements were serious, which was good, because he still had to memorize his confession to her.

Sorry to make you guys wait! I was in Saskatchewan for a bit, and I had no wifi!

I know, it was utter hell.

But I got this cool ring at a festival so it was sort of worth it. Also got this really good tort thing. My life was complete when I ate it, holy cow.

Anyways, here you are! A wonderful new chapter by yours truly~❤️

Thank you guys for 3k, by the way (;!