Chapter Eighteen: Stilled Fire

{Video sent to Horned Owl}

Horned Owl
[10:37 pm] Wow! She's still a knockout, eh?

Kuroo had just sent Bokuto one of the videos he'd recorded of the girl during their afternoon together, specifically the one where she'd shut down his lame pickup line and her brothers reactions.

He'd replayed the videos over and over, and looked at his picture frequently when he'd finished. Oh god, she was so pretty. Not even sleep compromised her looks. And her personality seemed to make her shine even more radiantly, if that was even possible.

He sighed, running a hand through his damp hair, having just gotten out of the shower a few minutes ago. He really didn't know what to do, now. He'd fallen way too hard, way too fast.

Kuroo
[10:39 pm] I think I'm in love, Bo.

*****

(F/n) sat cross legged in her bed, having reopened her 'get well soon' card from the team at least ten times. And, also staring at the bouquet, now on her bedside table, for about two hours now. She was halfway through her box of chocolates from Kuroo, just munching slowly.

She went right into surgery without telling her team and sent lots of people into panic, yet they'd gone through so much trouble to get this for her.

It was really unnecessary but they did it anyways. They didn't need to send her anything, because they'd have seen her on Monday. She'd even told coach that she'd be coming to school. But they did this for her.

For her, it honestly felt like it was just yesterday when it was only her and Kenma. She didn't even hang out with her old team or fellow classmates outside of school. She'd been really alone, as he had been.

But she had a lot of friends now, and they all really cared for her.

Very much.

She brought the heels of her hands to her eyes, and let out a small sob. She wondered how she deserved such a marvellous, supportive group of boys.

Don't get her wrong, she was exceedingly happy with how everything turned out after all of her mishaps.

But she had to ask herself;

How would things have turned out if this hadn't happened to me?

*****

Team Nekoma was more than shocked to see (F/n) enter the gymnasium in a wheelchair, especially a manual one.

"Wow! (F/n)-chan! Your arms must be really strong, huh?" Inouka exclaimed, and she smiled and gave everyone a wave.

She wheeled her way over to the coach, thanking him for installing a temporary wheelchair ramp so she could access the gym easier. He nodded and spoke to her quietly about if she needed anything, and if there were any health issues or worries she had while she recovered, all that jazz.

The team realized right away that she wasn't really herself. Her smile seemed more tame and reasonable than before, and she also had a weird stillness to her. Not calm, no, but still. Unmoving. Like if a fire had just completely frozen in place.

Her eyes wavered every now and then, but only Kenma and, surprisingly, Kuroo, could tell that it was a certain thought on her mind.

Her silence was also beginning to get on the team's nerves. She didn't shout encouragement or joke about with anyone. Her eyes were mostly glued to a clipboard that she had on her lap, or she was adjusting her position every now and then. She didn't meet anyone's eyes once.

Lev was the first one to get fed up.

"(F/n)-chan! Toss to me!" He called, lobbing a ball towards her.

The manager caught it easily, and she twirled it in her hands before placing it down beside her. "Not now, Haiba."

Everyone froze in shock at the use of Lev's surname. She'd never used it before. Kuroo let out a huff, and strode right up to her, grabbing the handles of her wheelchair and began to push her onto the court.

"K-Kuroo!" (F/n) hissed, trying to brake her mode of transportation with the palms of her hands. They only skidded on the wheels, and he parked her right at the net.

"Alright, guys! Spiking and receiving practice!" The boy announced, then shot a wink at (F/n).

She let out a defeated sigh as he tossed a ball towards her, and she set it, deciding it would be best to just not argue.