Chapter Twenty: Just About Right

"Bye, (F/n)! You can come anytime!" Kuroo called as the girl was loaded up into her moms van. She waved with a small smile before the door slid shut, and he waved back until the car pulled away.

"You like her." His mom finally said, her arms folded and leaning against the doorway with a smug smile.

He whipped around to face her, then sighed in defeat. You can't get angry at your mum–especially when she speaks the truth. "Yeah."

"Confess to her!" She announced, causing him to stiffen a little bit. "You're young! I like this one better than your past girlfriends, anyway! You'd better tell her you love her, young man!"

"What if she doesn't like me back?"

His mom rose her hands into the air in exasperation, whirling around and walking back inside. "Dear lord, save this boy!"

"That's rude!" Kuroo huffed, and padded after her to help her make some dinner. "You conceived me! Be nice! I'll be taking the throne to the Kuroo family one day!"

"And you'd better have her beside you as your queen when you do!"

"mOM!"

*****

Kuroo
[10:08 pm] How about 'In all my life you're the one thing that's always been real'?

Bo's Bf
[10:09 pm] If this is about (F/n) again I'm leaving this chat.

Kuroo
[10:09 pm] I'm serious!

Horned Owl
[10:10 pm] Isn't your entire life real, bro?

Kozumeme
[10:11 pm] It's a figure of speech, Bokuto-san.

Horned Owl
[10:14 pm] Oh.

Kuroo
[10:15 pm] That took you nearly four minutes to answer, bro.

Horned Owl
[10:15 pm] Well sorry!

Kuroo
[10:15 pm] Anyways...

Bo's Bf
[10:16 pm] Don't be cheesy.

Kozumeme
[10:16 pm] That's like asking him not to breathe.

Kuroo
[10:18 pm] So I looked up some stuff and one line said 'I'd give you the moon if you asked for it'.

Kozumeme
[10:19 pm] You know she'd definitely retaliate by asking for it, then.

Kuroo
[10: 19 pm] Yeah

Horned Owl
[10:20 pm] This IS (F/n) we're talking about

Kuroo
[10:20 pm] Why does she have to be so perfect????

Kozumeme
[10:21 pm] Don't start.

Kuroo sighed as he put down his phone, looking over the pages of loose leaf paper with notes scribbled down in his semi-messy handwriting. He adjusted his glasses, and flipped over some of the pages, reading over all the pickup lines.

Oh god, he was in so deep, it made him want to curl up and die. But it didn't at the same time. He just wanted to say the right thing.

Kuroo puffed out his cheeks in thought, looking up at his computer screen then back down at his papers. If you even think of asking, yes, he had to go this far. He wanted to remember this moment.

The captain let out a groan, and fell back on his bed, hearing the quiet 'poof' of his blankets and pillows underneath him. His eyes trailed across the blank ceiling above him, finding it awfully uninteresting. He wished he'd gone through a glow star phase like Bokuto, who still had glow stickers decorating not just his ceiling, but walls too.

Maybe the boy just wasn't made for Aesthetic™, like Akaashi or Bo. As far as he knew, Akaashi had fairy lights hung up in his room.

He ran the palms of his hands over his eyes and tangled his fingers into his hair, exhaling through his nose. Maybe he just wasn't good enough for (F/n).

(F/n) was so out of his league. She didn't give up when the world crashed down around her, or when her dreams were shattered. Her eyes sparkled with perseverance and pride. It seemed as if she couldn't be shaken by anything. Nobody was able to reduce her to less than she was now.

(L/n) (F/n) was strong, while Kuroo Tetsurou... he just wasn't.

He could get easily riled up. Maybe he took some insults too far. Maybe he annoyed people too much. Maybe he just wasn't suited to being a captain. Maybe he should just quit and give up.

Before he could really think and consider this, his phone buzzed. He was surprised to see that it was already eleven at night.

The text in question was from Akaashi.

Bo's Bf
[11:09 pm] Get her a promise ring.

A promise ring sounded just about right.

I did it. I finished the chapter. Do I get fireworks now? A trophy?

Nvm you guys' satisfaction will be enough. (;