Power Play

- Chapter Three -

You were sitting on the couch, alternating between reading and texting. You had your book in your lap as you read the message on your phone.

How's it going over there? Are you okay?

You smiled as you sent a message back.

Fine, I guess. I'm doing okay, things are a little rocky but I'll get through it.

As you set your phone down, Oliver greeted Chase who came in from the terrance, asking what he was doing.

"Oh, I just reinforced all the windows with an impenetrable polymer I designed to keep this place safe from any threat." Chase explained smiling.

"Oh yeah? Well," Oliver then held up a plate, "I just made myself a grilled cheese."

Skylar then walked in. "Mm, something smells good."

"Yep. That's my sandwich." Oliver replied, walking over to Skylar with his plate in hand.

"No, smells like reinforced polymer." Skylar stated.

"Oh, you." Oliver pointed at her, accidentally shooting water at her.

"Oliver!" She exclaimed.

"I'm sorry! It was an accident." Oliver apologized. "I'm still trying to get the hang of my powers."

"Oh, you poor thing. It must be so hard for you." Skylar stated.

"Skylar, that's not what I meant." Oliver shook his head.

"No, no, no. Thank you once again for reminding me how you have powers and I don't." She stated, snatching his plate from his hands, walking away.

You rose a brow as Chase looked over at Oliver who was smiling sheepishly. "Alien chicks...am I right?"

"Yeah, I still don't get it." Chase stated. "If Skylar was born a superhero, then why doesn't she have any powers?"

"She used to, but a human-turned-mutant called the Annihilatior drained them out of her. Put them on a shelf as a trophy." Oliver explained.

"Okay, I'm sorry, but you have to agree that sounds ridiculous." Chase stated as he walked over to Oliver. "Look, if Skylar's going to be apart of this team, then I have to find a way to get her powers back."

"No, I have to be the one to get her powers back." Oliver informed.

"Why you?" Chase asked.

"Because then she falls in love with me, then we get married, then we live our happy little superhero lives together forever in a space castle!" Oliver explained quickly.

Wishful thinking, you thought as Chase spoke. "You know, in your funny yet creepy little world, I believe that could happen."

"I've been trying to get her powers back for years." Oliver explained. "So far no luck."

"Well that's because you didn't have my vast scientific knowledge to help you, and now you do." Chase smiled. "I'll even give you all the credit so she thinks you're the hero."