::Fourteen::

"What have I done" You whispered sadly to yourself. After fleeing the battle with the gym leader, Serge, the four of you retreated to the pokemon center, hoping to seek treatment for Pikachu's sustained injuries. You had been so stupid. Fighting with Ash this whole time made you seem careless in your attempt to battle.

You waited, and you waited, outside the operation room, for any news of your pokemons health and condition. She took in a lot of pain, regardless of your attempt to pull her back. While sitting outside, your friends were kind enough to let you have time to yourself. They figured you weren't in a good mood for talking. So, you waited outside. You waited, and you waited

You stared up at the emergency doors, never taking your eyes off it. You felt so anxious. You sat on the bench, fiddling with your thumbs in an attempt to distract yourself. In Serge's presence, you felt like a bug. A helpless creature, him and his Raichu could squash. And you were sure your pikachu felt the same way. Sitting with your head hanging, you didn't seem to notice Ash walk in. He glanced at you, and then at the doors.

But once you felt someone elses presence, you looked behind your shoulder, and immediately looked away. Not just because you and him were still in a feud, but you were too embarrassed to look anyone else in the eye, and especially him. Ash looked away sadly.

A light suddenly flashed above the doors, and you immediately stood up. Your friends entered the room as soon as they heard the sound. The doors suddenly flung open, and an exhausted Nurse came walking out with a hopeful look on her face. She looked up at the four of you, and the tired smile on her face took the weight off your shoulders. You sighed.

"Pikachu's recovering. It took a lot of damage, but I did all that I could. You can go on in if you'd like" She smiled, dismissing herself. The four of you walked forward into the hospital room, to see an unconscious pokemon hooked up to IV's, and bandages on her face. You took a seat beside the bed, with your friends standing close to you.

"Poor pikachu" Misty said sadly. You kept staring at the small creature as she laid on the bed.

"That Raichu was..incredible. If I hadn't let my emotions get in my way, this wouldn't have happened" You thought outloud.

"We'll just have to try harder next time" You added.

"I think you were both trying your best then" Ash said. You glanced at Ash for a moment, and then down at your pikachu. Not a second later, her ears started twitching, causing you to react. Her eyes opened up.

"Thank goodness" You said, relaxing. She smiled at you for a second, but as soon as she realized her situation, she looked away. You seemed a bit taken back, but you weren't surprised that she would be acting this way.

"I figured as much"

"What do you mean?" Ash asked.

"Pikachu got hurt badly" Brock added.

"Obviously" Ash said.

"No, what he means is, her spirit's damaged. Pikachu felt overpowered by Raichu. And I can't say I don't feel the same" While pikachu was overpowered by the raichu, you couldn't help but feel one-uped by the gym leader.

"But don't worry. With a new tactic, we'll definitely beat them next time" You said, trying to raise her spirits.

"Perhaps I can help" A sweet tone, voice spoke. The four of you looked over at the door way, seeing nurse joy eavesdropping.

"Pardon me for intruding, but I may have something you can use"

You stood up from your stool, facing her "What is it?"

She took out a crimson colored box, and handed it to you. You looked up at her, and then down at the box.

"I came across it awhile ago"

You opened the box, and your eyes widened. You swore you would never need such a thing, just for the sake of winning. Inside the small box, laid a small emerald stone, with a nice shine to it, and a thunderbolt symbol engraved in it.

"A thunder stone" You said.

"A thunder stone?" Ash asked.

"A thunder stone could help (Y/N) evolve pikachu into a raichu" Brock explained.

"But" You looked behind your shoulder at the frowny pikachu on the bed. "If I do that, pikachu wont be the same"

If you forced it to evolve, just to win battles, you'd be no better than Serge. You looked behind your shoulder at your companion, who seemed to be listening in on the conversation. What were you gonna do? You wanted to win, but not if it meant evolving your best friend, just for some badge.

"I'll give you some time to think" Joy smiled, dismissing herself from the room. You watched her leave the room, and looked back down at your pokemon. She stared back at you, wide eyed. It was a tough decision to make, but it really wasn't up to you.