Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Quinn

"You always had the kindest heart," I hear my grandmother say. I try to open my eyes, but the light is so bright I can't see her when I finally get them open.

"Grandma?"

"Do you remember when you lost your first patient?" she asks me. I squint against the brightness and can make out her form.

"Yes. I remember." I say. She's moving closer. My heart is pounding now, I can feel it so intensely inside my chest. She reaches for my hand and I give it to her willingly. I've missed her so much. Her skin feels just as I remember it.

"You told me you didn't know if your heart would be able to take it. Do you remember?" she asks.

I nod my head, running my thumb along the back of her hand.

"It made your heart stronger Quinn. It made you stronger." I can see her clearly now. I'm overjoyed, but I cry from the relief of finally seeing her again. She bends and kisses my cheek. Her hand is holding mine, and the other is sweeping the hair from my forehead like she'd done a million times when I was younger.

"You have one thing left to give," she tells me. "I love you. It's been an honor being your grandmother. Our paths will cross again, angel." She presses one last kiss to my head and disappears.

My heart is warm and I feel at peace as my body rests in the bright healing light. I can see someone in the distance. "Kelsey?"

"Miss Quinn," she says with a smile. Her skin has color again and I can't stop looking at the healthy teen in front of me that I'd only ever seen as a sick child beneath hospital sheets hooked up to machines. But if this is the space between and I've passed over, then so has she.

"Oh, Kelsey," I say, my heart feeling as if it leaves my chest. "I'm sorry."

She is shaking her head, her smile only growing as she presses both of her hands over her heart. "They had to stop mine first. Thank you Miss Quinn." She starts to fade and as she does I feel more and more grounded into this space. The light becomes even brighter. I close my eyes and feel strong arms surround me.

"It's time." Kenneth's voice whispers into my ear.

I open my eyes and he's there in front of me. "I gave her my heart?"

"Yes. You were a perfect match," he answers.

"Now what?" I ask him as he takes my hand in his.

"Now we step into the light together, love. Let's see where it takes us next." 

****Don't forget to vote and comment! I can't wait to hear what you guess think of the end of this story! So excited for you to read the epilogue!!