Epilogue

Epilogue

Sean

I step out of the lecture hall with my two best friends on the first day of our junior year of college. "Thor would totally kick Hulk's ass," Evan says.

"Not a chance," Will counters.

"Not again," I say sarcastically. I've heard this exact argument at least a hundred times since I met Will and Evan our freshman year. Their love for comic books is legendary. We never let them hear the end of it at practice.

The sun is out and we can't wait to get off campus and to the beach. California has the best weather and I plan on soaking it all up before I move back to home. All we need to do is stop in the student center and grab a textbook the professor didn't have listed on his syllabus and then we're free.

The store is packed with students, which is exactly why we ordered all of our books online. If it weren't for this teacher we would have avoided this place entirely. We finally find the text we need and grab it. I turn around and slam right into someone. She stumbles backward and I reach out and grab her before she falls to the floor.

The second my hands are on her skin I feel it. Our eyes meet, our hearts sync and I'd swear the universe stops just long enough for me to feel that familiarity in my soul. "Janie?" I ask. Her long blonde hair is still just as beautiful as it was when she was younger and those eyes I'll never forget. Whenever I think of blue, it's them I see.

"Sean?" she asks as she rights herself.

"Janie Smith!" I exclaim as I hold my arms out. She throws herself into them as if it hasn't been almost twenty years since I'd last seen her.

"I can't believe it's you." She steps back to look at me.

"It's been a long time." But really it feels like just yesterday that I was playing Marines with her and her brother Ken. Our fathers worked in the same shop on base. It broke my heart when her dad, Liam Smith, moved her away to California when we were kids. She was the first girl I fell in love with. We were just children, but I told her I was going to marry her someday.

"What are the chances of us ending up at the same college? I mean of all the colleges in the country...." her voice trails off in disbelief. I don't know the answer, but I know I'm not letting her slip out of my life again.

"Evan and Will this is Janie Smith. We used to live next door to each other a long time ago when our dads were in the Marines." I look at Janie again. "Janie, this is Will and Evan, the grown men who can never stop arguing over who would win in a fight, Hulk or Thor."

Her smile is infectious she flips open the notebook she has resting in her arms. Inside is an old copy of a Wonder Woman comic. "Doesn't really matter," she says, "Wonder Woman could take them both."

Have you ever had the feeling that you knew someone already? That maybe this wasn't your first time together? I know it sounds crazy, but I've always felt that way about her.

Janie is deja vu to my heart, a bright light that brings me home.

The End!

**Thank you for reading! Do you remember Sean and Janie?  What about our little friends who have a love for all things Hulk and Thor ❤️?  Sorry if I broke your heart during this story, I hope this epilogue helped to start putting the pieces back together!