CHAPTER EIGHT:

With each step Will took, the echo of the heels of his boots making him want to wince. With each step, he would bring himself closer to something he knew he wasn't ready for. Stepping through the double doors into the great hall where The Choosing will be taking place. After the line of Castle wards stood in front of a squirmy servant of Baron Arald. Will, had recognised him as Martin, after years of his lanky figure roaming these castle walls.

To Will's horror, Martin had quickly ordered them to go from tallest to smallest. Will knew he hadn't had a chance when Martin looked at him, a disapproving gesture toward himself and Jenny, another Castle ward and organised them so Will had been at the end, the smallest.

He choked down the groan as he heard a small snicker from Horace who was unmistakably the biggest of all the Castle Wards. It was then he heard the barons' voice "I'm sure that's not necessary, Martin." The servant bowed, mumbling apologies with his high pitched voice that went well with his features.

A chill shot up Will's spine, as Baron gave the signal and Martin opened the doors to the masters across the room. It was all happening so fast, his breathing seeming to not keep up with ever second going by. Baron Arald announced the masters with his voice drowned in formality, but yet seemed so casual with the possibility of any of the Castle Wards being sent to a life condemned to farming.

Horace began, and was accepted into Battle School, causing Will to bite his tongue to suppress the groan clawing to escape his mouth.

Alyss was accepted as a courier, George a scribe and by the time is was Jenny's turn, Will was forced to ball his hands into fists to prevent the shaking.

Wimp, that's all you are, the words echoed in his mind, Horace's voice booming.

Jenny was explaining a recipe of how to make a turkey pie when Will looked around the room, looking for a distraction. It was then green came into his peripheral view, and turned his head, goose bumps almost swallowing his skin as the grim gaze of Ranger Halt landed upon him. It wasn't just the stare that made Will stop dead, or the emotion that wrapped the dark pools, it was the fact that he didn't try to hide it.

Will, feeling even smaller and pushed closer to the edge, looked away quickly, It was then some one else had decided to show up.

Squirt, He recalled the name as the memory of last night ran through his mind. She snuck quietly through the big doors he had come through earlier, no one seeming to notice her, her boots soft and silent against the tiled floor. The way she walked with fluent and easy movement made a wave of suspicion cloud his mind about her.

Squirt scanned the room and Will managed to catch her eye once she took her place next to the ranger. It was then that the cloud of suspicion drowning his thoughts about the girl became a thick fog as she turned to the man that had now rested his eyes upon her, as she handed him a folded note from out of her brown leather jacket, smirking as he took it.  

She turned back, a slight smile reaching her lips as she met her gaze back with Will. He couldn't find the nerve to return it.

She frowned, a question on her parting lips, but stayed quiet as Master Chubb of the kitchen spoke to Jenny. She left his gaze, looking down, a frown still upon her features when he turned back to the masters.

It was then Master Chubb had accepted Jenny as his apprentice, and it was then he flickered his eyes back at Squirt one last time, realising her gaze was on someone else.

Horace, with a glare upon his face.

He had so many questions, so many thoughts, but he wasn't concentrating on his thoughts anymore he realised that Martin was calling out to him in his usual irritated high-pitched voice "Next!" He called out and Will stepped forward and took a deep breath.