CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX:

They all started to pack up their things and strap their bags back on their saddles. Rangers were riding out to their own fiefs with jobs of their own to do.

Belle could feel her pulse rate running 100 miles an hour as she was tightening the girth on Beauty. She had mixed feeling running through her and she didn't know which feeling she was feeling the most. She was feeling, scared, excited, anxious, determined and ready. Although going after the Kalkara was dangerous and there was a high risk of getting killed, Belle felt ready for it. She had been growing up with rangers all her life and it was her life long dream to be one. Now here she was, living her dream about to go in to action and fulfil her duties as being apart of the Ranger Corps. Belle let out a deep breath, letting her mixed emotions run through her.

She then, grabbed their wooden bucket with some water that was filled up from a dam that morning and made her way toward the small cooking fire to put it out. Belle, now always subconsciously walking quietly, made Gilan and Halt oblivious that she was a metre behind them, putting the fire out. Belle was about to pour the water on the fire when she heard her name. She debated with herself wether it was right to listen to their conversation, and thought that since she was being mentioned, she had a right to listen.

"I don't want her getting hurt Halt, she's just a girl and Will is just a boy" Gilan was whispering to Halt. Belle felt a little insulted to be referred to as 'just a girl'. She was, obviously a girl, but she was far from acting like one. She had grown up to become somewhat of a tomboy. She refused to wear dresses and didn't wear her hair down often. She never wore expensive jewellery and she never went to the effort of looking nice unless it was a special occasion. She didn't like to play with dolls or talk about being a princess. She liked to talk about skills of a ranger and played jokes whenever she got the chance. She practised throwing knives and aiming at targets in her spare time unlike other girls who would prefer to go in to town and go to the shops for lollies or pretty hats. Belle, overall was the opposite of a girl and here Gilan was, accusing her to be the exact thing she isn't.

"Gilan, I know that she probably isn't the ideal person to bring along to fight against the Kalkara, but Crowley cant spare me anymore people. Plus, you, Will and Belle are the ones I trust the most, and I prefer that then some men that I've seen a couple times at the gatherings" Hal replied to Gilan. Belle let a smile creep slightly on her face. Knowing that she was trusted by Halt was a privilege, since he was one of the best rangers ever known.

"But Halt, Belle is a princess! She is Princess Annabelle, heir to the throne of Araluen! If she get's hurt, or worse, killed, Duncan would never forgive any of us!" Gilan replied in a harsh whisper. Belle furrowed her eyebrows. It was unfair that they thought of her like that! She was just as well trained as any of them would've been when they were at her stage of training (well, except Halt of course) and they were treating her like she was a little baby who didn't know how to take care of herself. Belle felt the urge to slap them, but realised that would mean that they would find out she was eavesdropping. Belle then let a soft sigh escape her lips, quiet enough for Gilan and Halt to not hear, pushing the thought of slapping her two companions to the back of her mind and kept her lips zipped shut to listen for Halt's response.

"I guess you're right" Halt said in a defeated tone. Belle let her mouth hang open, free entry for a stray fly to make themselves at home. How dare they! They were not going to let her come just because she was a princess! Gilan nodded his thanks and turned away to go towards his horse. Belle quickly took a few steps back, and as Gilan was fully turned around, She started walking forward again toward the small cooking fire, making it look like she had just arrived and hadn't heard anything. Halt was still standing in the same spot as he was when he was talking to Gilan. Belle fought the urge to give Halt a glare and put all her anger in to throwing the water on the fire. Making water splash everywhere.