CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:

Belle came back to consciousness. She slowly got all her senses back and started hearing multiple voices close to her. They were talking at a hushed whisper but Belle could hear them loud and clear since, from the sound of it, were right next to her.

"What if she doesn't wake up?" a voice said. Belle caught her breath hearing the voice, it was Duncan. She could tell that he was crying from the way his words slurred and he kept sniffing. Then she heard foot steps. The person was wearing high-heels, whoever it was, it was definitely a woman.

"She's going to wake up Duncan, she has lost a lot of blood but she's going to make it, she has to if she's got your blood in her veins" as soon as the voice spoke, Belle immediately recognized the voice belonged to Lady Pauline. What was Pauline doing here? Then right after Belle had that thought she heard Halt's voice.

"Pauline she still lost a lot of blood, even the doctor said she might not make it" Halt sobbed. Everyone was distraught, Belle could hear and thought she better open her eyes and let them know she was alive and well. She slowly opened them, light shining painfully in to her usual light brown eyes. As the light shone in her eyes, it pained her and she groaned, alerting the group that something was happening.

"What's happening?" Belle heard, sounding awfully too much like Will. As Belle got her eyes fully open, her vision was blurry at first, but then as her eyes became accustomed to the lighting she could see clearly, seeing all the faces staring at her with mixed expressions on their faces, but mostly all had shock written all over them.

"Well hello strangers" Belle said weakly giving a feeble smile as she said it, trying to reassure them a little bit. She heard multiple gasps and realised how many people were really in the room. From the familiar patterns on the roof and walls, they were in Redmont Castle, probably in the hospital area. She recognised everyone in the room staring down at her. There was; Will, Halt, Pauline, Arald, Duncan, Horace, Martin, Rodney, Crowley and Anthony. Everyone was speechless and couldn't get any words to come out of their mouths to reply to Belle who was remarkably alive. They all just stared at Belle for several minutes before Belle started feeling a bit awkward. "What happened?" she asked. Everyone was quiet at first, then Pauline recovered from her shock first.

"Well, you got hit by the boar and you lost a lot of blood, we weren't sure if you'd make it and-" Pauline didn't get any further, Duncan interrupting

"And I would like a moment with my daughter, alone." everyone hesitated for a moment not wanting to leave Belle's side, happy that she was alive and well. But then eventually with Duncan's encouragement they left. As they were leaving, Belle caught Will's eye and saw the anxiety in those marvellous brown eyes that always gave her a sense of warmth was all wiped away, he had obviously been distraught by the incident, but something else was hiding in them, Belle didn't get enough to see, since he had to leave the room. As The door closed, Duncan gave a relieved sigh and hugged Belle gently, who was lying on a bed stretch. Belle struggled to sit up, with pain surging through her arm as she tried to put wait on it. She groan in pain and Duncan came to her aid helping her. After that, Duncan looked at her, concern, relief and shock covering his face.

"Now, I want to speak with you about the boar incident.... I want you to give up your apprenticeship" he said firmly. Belle's eyes widened

"What? You can't ask me to do that!" Belle burst into anger. Duncan stayed firm and began speaking in a calm but strong voice

'I'm not asking you to do it, I'm ordering you to. You promised me that you would try and be careful and look where that got you" Belle shook her head

"I was trying to help Will, he was about to get stabbed by that crazy boar!" she said still yelling in anger. Again Duncan stayed firm and talked in a strong powerful voice

"I know that you were trying to protect him and that's good that you were being selfless and you used a lot of courage to do it but, I don't want you to be involved in that sort of thing, and being a ranger is filled with all sorts of things like that and worse" Belle sighed angrily

"But I want to do it and you're not going to stop me!" Belle said, unable to think of any other comeback. Belle noticed that Duncan's face flushed red and saw the anger build up in him then the yelling began

"Annabelle! You will not and cannot reject an order! I'm not letting you be a ranger and that's final!" Duncan said. Belle sat there speechless. He hadn't yelled like that before and it scared her, but she wouldn't let a little bit of loud yelling stop her from doing what she loved.

"Duncan!" She yelled back with her fiercest tone she could do. "I'm being a ranger wether you like it or not! I might not be able to reject an order but I will refuse one! You said yourself that I used courage out there, which is what the Ranger Corps need, I'm good with the bow and Halt always says that I have a good talent with the Saxe Knife! Look, I don't want you to be worried sick over me all the time, but I assure you that I can take care of myself. That boar had an advantage because he was strong as hell and we had an unfair advantage, but if there was a human instead of a insane boar, he would have been dead within seconds!" Duncan shook his head and stood up from the stool he was sitting on next to the bed.

Annabelle I'm no-" Belle cut him off

"Dad! If I were your son we wouldn't being fighting right now! You would tell me to train more and make sure it doesn't happen again, and don't bother to deny it because I know you too well! I'm not saying that you shouldn't be worried, you have a right! But this is what I love and I'm doing it!" Belle kept a firm gaze at Duncan, hating that Duncan was standing over her which gave him an advantage of power to her. Belle saw a tear drip down Duncan's cheek and landed on Belle forehead. Duncan sat next to Belle on the bed and wiped his tear of her head and hugged her tightly.

"You're my everything Belle, and I don't want to lose you" he said in a sad and miserable tone. Belle hugged him back not caring how much pain she felt from her arm.

"I know, but you can't stop me from living my life how I want it, dad" she said. Duncan let out a shaky breath and kissed Belle gently on the cheek.

"Sadly I know that all too well" he said and went back to hugging her. After a few minutes Duncan gave a depressed and defeated sigh "So, I guess you're still doing your apprenticeship" he said. Belle pulled away from hugging her dad.

"Of course!" she said and hugged him tightly.