prologue

SEPT, 1971
GREAT HALL

The group of first years standing before the Sorting Hat were very nervous

The group of first years standing before the Sorting Hat were very nervous. At least, most of them were. A short, brunette girl with pigtails was chatting happily away to her friend, who looked herself like she was about to be sick. A black haired boy with a mischievous smirk surveyed the crowded hall with excitement, rather than apprehension. A pretty blue eyed girl stared ahead confidently. A brown haired boy was also included in the category of 'not nervous'. However, he was different from the others. He was not nervous. He was absolutely terrified.

Remus Lupin looked at his hands as the next name was called.

"Torres, Miriam." They were calling names in reverse order this year as opposed to alphabetically, and so far, the three students that had already been called up had all been Ravenclaw.

"GRYFFINDOR!" Scratch that, he thought. He looked back up to see the chatty, brunette, pigtailed girl from before walk down the steps to the cheering table with a grin on her face. As she passed, she remarked to her friend, "Easy, see?" No, not easy, Remus replied in his head. You went up there in front of the entire school with no fear. Who else apart from the boldest could do that? Stage fright turned his legs to jelly as a sickening dread filled his stomach. What if the Sorting Hat declared him unfit to be sorted? In front of everyone? Wouldn't that just be golden? What if it announced his lycanthropy? That would also be mortifying, considering it would make him a hated and feared person among the students, ridiculed and taunted.

"Sanders, Camilla." Remus watched as the next person ascended to be sorted with little interest. All he could see of the girl climbing the steps was that she was a redhead, and then her cool, collected expression as she sat, bored perhaps. It seemed genuine and unforced, which was unnerving for someone so young. Remus instantly disliked her. He guessed she was a pureblood, Slytherin for sure and knew it. Who else would have that disdainful look as her gaze swept across the hall, as if they were her subjects and she was their queen?

The Sorting Hat was on her head for two heartbeats. Two heartbeats was enough, apparently.

"SLYTHERIN!" He thought to himself resignedly, how did I guess? Remus snorted under his breath as she walked gracefully to the cheering table, but her head turned a fraction to glare, as if she'd heard him. The sharpness of her hard green eyes dug into him, clearly intended as a warning, but he instead raised a challenging eyebrow. He felt like making a muggle gesture he'd accidentally learned from his mother in irritation, so did, even though he knew the Slytherin girl probably wouldn't understand. A boy next to him stifled an incredulous gasp.

From that moment on, he was certain that they were going to clash several times over the years to come.

(And directly behind Remus, the boy with messy, black hair smirked, because he knew he'd found a kindred spirit.)