eleven - death approaches

APR, 1976
GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM

Calmer after his rare round of violent swearing (from which the paintings on the fourth floor would now be giving him dirty looks for for a long time), he entered the common room almost sombrely

"I've decided to start planning my funeral," he stated matter-of-factly to the other Marauders as he approached.

"Why?" asked Peter, who was sitting in the arm of the sofa. He looked sullen and annoyed at the verdict of cleaning duty for as long as Filch saw fit, but was rather curious about what went down in the Headmaster's office. The other two were lying on their backs on the sofa, licking their wounds, hands thrown over their faces.

"Camilla."

"What?" yelped Sirius, sitting up to stare at him. "What about that bloody nutcase?" James peeked out from beneath his self-pity, interested.

"Detention every week-night to make a book of spells, with... her." His tone of voice made it clear he was not happy with the idea at all, and was in fact rather disgusted with it. He didn't want to have to work with someone so bigoted against him. It also didn't help that she called him a filthy Half-Blood every chance she got, as if somehow his mother's blood made him impure or any lower than herself.

"Bad luck, Moony," Sirius grimaced, an apologetic look crossing his face briefly. He flopped back down onto his back with a huge sigh, dramatics taking over while Peter grinned.

"We'll be praying for you," added James from under his arm. Peter snorted in amusement, though quickly stopped when he saw the look on Remus's face. He sighed. His friends were no help at all, but truthfully, inside, he was just the little bit curious. What would his forced time with Camilla reveal about her? Would she be as terrible and a cruel as she appeared on a regular basis? Or was she deeper than that, more real and human than she let other people see? He had reason to believe that if you got to know someone, they would turn out to be completely different to your original impressions. After all, wasn't he best friends with a Pureblood whose family was famous for Muggle hate?

With one final sigh, he dropped onto the sofa in between the two other boys and promptly fell asleep, thinking of ways he could make his new detentions bearable.