twelve - here we go

APR, 1976
CLASSROOM 4F, HISTORY OF MAGIC

Seven o'clock rolled around far too quickly for Camilla's taste the next evening, just as her group was leaving to do their own punishment, cleaning under Filch's rule alongside the vile so-called 'Marauders' and their friends

Seven o'clock rolled around far too quickly for Camilla's taste the next evening, just as her group was leaving to do their own punishment, cleaning under Filch's rule alongside the vile so-called 'Marauders' and their friends. It took all her effort to keep a cool front as she went a different route in the direction of the History of Magic classroom. In no way was she going to enjoy such a task, especially since it forced her to mingle with the insufferable half-blood. She was almost certain that Rosier and Bellatrix had a two galleon bet that she would try to ditch the detentions after less than a week. She didn't plan to disappoint.

When Camilla entered the room, she wrinkled her nose at the sight of the Gryffindor boy sitting at a desk. His face was pale, weary and tried for patience already, yet they hadn't even begun their labour. The redhead then glanced to the front of the room, where Professor Binns' oblivious ghost sat, making her smile maliciously. There was no way the deceased teacher would care about anything that went on in the room or during their punishment. He was simply there to make sure they kept regular attendance. Camilla planned to make her time in this punishment as painless as possible by doing pretty much nothing. Writing a list of spells was so beneath her. Just they wait until her parents heard about this. Then Dumbledore and McGonagall would fully regret ever crossing her family.

Without verbally acknowledging the half-blood, Camilla selected a chair on the other side of the classroom, so she could settle into it for the next hour. After a minute or two, Professor McGonagall swept into the classroom, a curt tone to her step and movements. She was carrying in her arms a large book. Well, to say it was large was a gross understatement. The thing was colossal, broad, clearly heavy and bound cover to cover in plain black leather. Camilla imagined it must have taken some work to put it together. With a single heave, the Professor slammed it down on a table roughly in between their two tables.

"I expect you two to work together on this," she said stiffly with a raised eyebrow as she looked between them. Sullenly, Camilla stared at her fingernails as if she had far better things to be doing (which she did). "The library is nearby, and I suggest you take many books at a time to avoid multiple trips. The faster you finish this to at least an E standard, the sooner you will be out of detention, which should be easy for two students of your combined calibre."

"Yes, Professor," mumbled Lupin, who rubbed his face tiredly. Camilla said nothing, refusing to acknowledge the teacher's presence in her irritation. Eventually, she left with pursed lips and a tight expression. The door closed behind her with a short, sharp bang, leaving the two teenagers essentially to their own devices.

In the ensuing silence, Camilla turned to face the half-blood directly and stated in a clear, slow voice, "Let's get this straight. I'm doing as little as I possibly can. I don't have time for this. I don't have the care to do this. That's that." Lupin's face suggested he wanted to argue, but she guessed he simply didn't have the energy. It irked her to no end, yet she returned to her furious brooding with a long exhale.

After an agonisingly long hour, the two teenagers left the classroom without having done any work whatsoever.

And thus began the start of a long road to friendship, secrets and true pain that would last a lifetime.