three - so you're a tough guy

JAN, 1976
SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM

It was after breakfast that Camilla and her group were sprawled on the green upholstered sofas in the Slytherin Common Room, talking in careless voices

It was after breakfast that Camilla and her group were sprawled on the green upholstered sofas in the Slytherin Common Room, talking in careless voices. It was dark, the sun not yet having risen, and darker still in the dungeons below the rest of the school, the only natural light available being filtered through the murk of the Black Lake. Even at the height of noon it would be dark. That's why the fireplaces were always burning at a brisk pace.

Camilla gazed into the flames, momentarily distracted from the scandalous, gossip-filled conversation. She could see the outlines of her own face in the glare, her reflection twisted and distorted like a monster. Camilla looked away quickly.

"The Mudblood deserved it. And anyway, why shouldn't he?" Lucius laughed a cold laugh, and the rest of the group joined in, Camilla included, though at that particular moment she wasn't sure what she was encouraging. She surveyed the people around her with a satisfied glance. Beside Camilla was Lucius Malfoy, a fifth year like her, and usually the most talkative and active in voicing his opinions. Nestled next to him was fourth year Narcissa Black and opposite her on the other sofa furthest away from the fire was her sister, the fifth year Bellatrix. Sixth year Rodolphus Lestrange was lounging lazily in a single armchair and directly opposite Camilla on the other sofa nearest the hearth was Evan Rosier and Wilkes, also both fifth years.

"They shouldn't even be allowed to come here," Bellatrix spat, "filthy muggles." They all muttered in agreement.

"This school should only tolerate purebloods."

"Witches and wizards should be thrown in Azkaban for marrying muggles," Rodolphus sneered, cruelly. Camilla rolled her eyes and took her wand from inside her robes.

"There's no use complaining," she drawled, gaining their attention as she raised her wand a little. "The best we can do is make life more difficult for them." She flicked it with a smirk and a short, second year muggleborn on the other side of the room was dragged by his ankle by an invisible rope and hung from the ceiling, screaming in fear. His books fell out of his hands, thudding to the floor heavily, and his robes dropped to swing around his face. This caused the assembled elite before her to burst out in raucous laughter. "And a little more fun for us," she added, chuckling too.

"Oh, look who's been practicing their wordless hexes," Evan said as he tried to stifle his sniggering.

"Shut up, Rosier," she deadpanned and stood, flipping her red hair over her shoulder. "Who else has Advanced Arithmancy now?" Lucius and Bellatrix rose from their positions to retrieve their books. "We'll see the four of you later," Camilla said with a cold smile and turned her back on the others. As she passed the second year boy, followed by her fellow classmates, she flicked her wand without caring to look and he crashed to the floor.

They would be making no mistakes; she was in control. They were her group. And she wouldn't let them forget it any time soon.