four - the mistake

JAN, 1976
POTIONS DUNGEON

The potions class that day, a mix of Slytherin and Gryffindor fifth years, were in the middle of brewing a simple sleeping draught when Professor Slughorn had to leave the dungeons to deal with an incident in the North Tower

"I won't be long, and whoever finishes first will receive House points," the Head of Slytherin reminded them, before hurrying out the door. The room that previously only heard the mutterings of students and the bubble of cauldrons erupted into noise.

Camilla rolled her eyes at the ruckus as she stirred the potion, her partner, who's name she'd promptly forgotten, also acting like a mindless idiot and yelling to others across the room. She was nearly finished, having done most of the work herself, so glanced around calmly, looking for entertainment. The four Gryffindor boys, nicknamed infamously throughout the school as the 'Marauders', were partnered up together (naturally), and were laughing among themselves, the dark haired quidditch chaser with the slightly mousy boy and the Black family blood traitor with the brown haired bookworm covered in mysterious scars. She knew their names of course, but couldn't be bothered to think of them, as it was beneath her.

As soon as they saw her looking, they quietened and turned to each other, attempting to hide smirks on their mischievous faces.

Camilla eyed them suspiciously, but was distracted by her partner saying, "Hey, what's that?" She glanced down with a raised eyebrow and surveyed the small box on their table. It was tiny, and wrapped in shimmering green paper, tied up with a silver ribbon, like a little Christmas present. The ends of the ribbon were fizzing with a soft orange glow. She immediately did not trust it, but when she stretched out a hand to brush it away, the lid burst open with a loud pop and blew a huge cloud of foul-smelling dust into her face.

The Slytherin red-head began coughing and stumbled backwards with her arm flung over her mouth, trying to remove the residue from her lungs. Her face itched madly, searing, irritating, and as she ran a hand across her cheeks she felt raised, blotchy skin. Panic filled her head for a split second, when she realised what was going on. She was being deliberately angered and embarrassed, and anyone who would do that on purpose should have been very, very scared. As the cloud cleared, the class started to bawl with laughter and a spark of fury boiled in the pit of her stomach. All she needed now to use it, was an explosive spell and a victim.

"What in Merlin's-" she began, but stopped in shock at the ugly high-pitched sound coming from her mouth. This just caused the other students to laugh more, some crying in their mirth. Camilla caught sight of her reflection in a mirror on the wall opposite her, used mainly for reflection invisibility potion demonstrations so you could sneak up on someone without being noticed, but now it showed her bright red, boil-covered skin, enlarged nose and anger-warped mouth. Her partner beside her was sniggering loudly, and she went even redder. Tears welled up in her rage and humiliation and she vowed silently to hex whoever did this to her until they begged for mercy at her feet. Never mind just one explosive spell. Then out of the corner of her eye, Camilla spotted the high fives the Marauders were giving each other and knew. She knew. It was them. And they would pay, dearly.

Camilla stormed out of the dungeon in a murderous rage, followed by jeering and teasing and triumphant laughing.