10.

Driving to work I got a call.
"Hey...where are you?"
"Working, baby. Did you wake up late?"
"Yeah... Just now. Surprised you're not here... I don't know why actually."
"I didn't want to wake you up. "
"So...How am I supposed to leave now?"
"In the box next to the door there's a red key. It's for the front door. Keep it".
"Why?"
"I don't know....I thought maybe you'd like to."
"No, I don't. That's too fast"
"I'm not telling you to move in with me, Courtney... Just to have the key whenever you want to drop by...."
"Oh...ok. "
"Did you sleep well?"
"Yeah. But was a bit desorientated when I woke up alone in the place I don't know."
" I should have waken you up. But I had an early shift, since 4."
"No no, no problem."
"I hear there's a problem. What's going on? Huh? Tell me."
"I... About yesterday night.."
"Yeah... Thank you. It was perfect" I smiled
"It was ... a mistake, Speedle". And she hung up.
I was amazed at her words. I really thought she had a really good time yesterday evening and the night was like a perfect ending. I never noticed any sign of hestitation or unwillingness...
And now- that?I needed to sort it out with her. But that must wait- I said to myself. Focus on work.
My shift finished at 3p.m.
Then I drove to the station to collect my badge and my gun.
In the door there was a person standing with Stetler - a tall, muscular man.
My first thought was 'what an asshole', then I thought that maybe I shouldnt judge somebody like that.
"Timothy Speedle- Henry Martin." Stetler introduced us.
"Nice to meet you. But why...?"
"This will be your partner, Speedle, for the next 2 months."
Henry nodded his head.
"But how...?"
"After the exam you need to serve two months as a law enforcement. That's the rule."
"Excuse me for a moment" I nodded to Henry- "can we...?"
"Yeah. My office. "
I followed him.
"How am I fucking supposed to do it, huh? Police work, morgue and shifts as a CSI trainee? Can you tell me THAT???"
"Dont. shout . at. Me . Speedle."
"Sorry"- I cooled down a bit- "but the 24 hours a day is too short."
"Well... Your CSI training is over I guess."
"Oh? And that is why?"
"We got a note that your relationship with your trainer got more personal than student- teacher relation."
"What??!? But..."
"...but how? You still keep saying this... Just like that." He flicked his fingers.
"So ... What now?"
"You're starting your work in two hours. Get your badge, gun and uniform and be here by 5.50."
"Geez...thanks a lot, man. I guess I have nothing to say..." He shook his head.
I went to the safe locker.I got a strange  look of the guy working there. "Gun, badge..." he said handing them.
"....and a uniform"
" Large"
"I'd pick Medium if I were you... You're to slim for L. "
I got it and went on the other side of the road, straight into the lab. Left the uniform at the reception and went to see H.
"Hi H. Time to talk?"
"Few minutes. Come in. What brings you here?"
"I need help. Stetler just gave me badge and gun and told me to serve two months as a patrol cop. With a partner."
"That's the rule, Speed, I'm sorry.
"Uniformed, H. !!!"
"Yes, I know. You were  uniformed before, when you finished academy."
"Yeah but that was years ago...."
"A new start, as you said. It's only 2 months."
"What about Courtney?"
"Yeah... We got an official complaint. On your... Non- professional relation."
"But it's not like that. Were friends." he looked at me closely.
"I guess something more."
"Yeah. But I care. I really do. What shall I do... "
"Then serve as a cop and be with her. Do your job in the morgue and spend evenings with your girl. But not as two CSIs. As soon as you're not formally bound, it's unethical and against internal rules. She got an official punishment for that."
"From you???"
"From her night shift boss. She's not your trainer anymore"
"I need to explain that to her". "Talk to her".
"I don't even know where she lives..."
"I know. Here you are"-  he left putting something into my hand.
I went downstairs. I opened the small piece of paper just to see the address.
I left and decided to pay her a visit. I took my uniform and went to the lockers. There was Delko there, changing his clothes.
"Hi Speed what are you doing here?"
"Can I change here?"
"Sure. What is it???? A uni?"
"Yep." I put it on." Shit. I look like crap."
"No you don't. Go into the girls' lockers and they will tell you the same" he laughed.
I had a quick look into the mirror and rushed out.
When I drove to the address H gave me, I saw a neat light in the upper window. I got out of the car- my heart rate was gigantic.
I knocked to the door
"Who is it? " I heard the quiet voice.
"MDPD, ma'am."
The door opened and I turned around. She was so surprised that she almost let go the coffee mug.
"Speed...? But how...?"
"Sorry to annoy you, but we need to talk. Let me in please."
She moved leaving me a thin space to enter. I went to the small but cosy living room.
"Do you.... Do you want some coffee?"
" I don' t know.... We need to talk. What is it about with the mistake we did? I thought we both wanted it Courtney."
"Yeah, but I realized I shouldn't. "
"And you decided for me too, right?"
"Yes. "
"That's not fair".
"I know. But it can't last, Tim. It's not possible."
"Because you don't care for me?"
She stood silent.
"Has the official complaint got something to do with it?"
"Yeah. I need this job. It's my whole life. And YOU WERE a CSI so you should understand it."
"Thanks for reminding me" I barked. "Yes. I understand."
"So why are you pushing me? And why the hell are you uniformed?"
"The law states that there cannot be any unofficial private relationship between two CSIs of the same county, right? Or the police officers?"
"Yes"
"There is nothing about CSIs and police officers relationships".
"No, because they don't work at the same place".
"Right. That's the answer for your question."
"What question?"
"Why I'm uniformed."
She just stood there. Suddenly covered her mouth with her hands.
"Really?"
"Really."
"Would you...? Why?"
"Because I want to try. Please, give us a chance. I will show you that a man can be decent and supportive, not abusive."
She suddenly started crying.
"What did I say? Court?"
I sat down and hugged her. "Please don't cry. There's nothing to cry about. Will you let me know you better? I will try not to disappoint you, I promise."
"Yes" she whispered." I'd love to. But I'm afraid you'll hate me one day doing the dull police job, and thinking that's because of me".
"It"s not only because of you. I need to finish the training- two months in uniforms. All I did is I gave up CSI training. It can wait." I suddenly felt a smell
"Uh,oh- somethings burning!"
"Shit! The coffee pot!" She ran to the kitchen
I was waiting for her standing by the window. When I turned over I saw her watching me.
"You know what? You look great in uniform" she smiled.
"Thanks. It's actually like a leash for me" I laughed.
"Sit down with me." She poured me some coffee.
"Baby, I need to be sure. Will you stay with me? It's not forbidden in this situation."
"Yeah. I will. "
We sat together until I fell asleep, didn't even knowing it. Just remember her warm body next to mine.
I got up and looked at the watch. 5.30....
Geez... I'm late.

I