24.

"Hey Tim."
"Doctor?"
"I' ve got your results. Your blood test looks good and the stitches on your abdomen look finally fine. So you can start sitting and getting up a little."
"Can I go and visit her?"
"No.not alone. But someone can take you there in a wheelchair.
Remember you need to be careful, no sudden moves, no heroic actions, ok? Nice and slowly"
"Yeah. Thanks a lot."
He left and I called Eric
"Delko...I need you here."
"What's going on?"
"Doc let me visit Courtney. On a wheelchair."
"I can't now Speed, I'm at work, but Harry is on his way."
Speaking of which- he just entered the door.
"Ti... Youre sitting???! "
"Yeah ...doc just let me. Harry...will you take me upstairs? In a wheelchair?Sure... Let's get you ready first."
"What d'you mean?"
"Look at you Tim...haven't shaven in 2 weeks, hair in a mess and your face...well, not much can be done here."
I looked into the mirror in the bathroom. Yeah. Bruises were lighter, more yellow and red than black. Harry took out the electric shaver and shaved me leaving the very short hair as I hate clean face. I put on a fresh T-shirt and we went to the elevator. Up there he took me to room 7-  I didn't ask him how did he know- and we wheeled inside. There was a single bed there and a small table. The window had bars behind. She was lying down, eyes closed. She looked like a small girl in her mum's bed. He left me next to her and said "I'll get the doc."
I put out my hand and touched her hair... It was soft in touch, as always. She didn't move. I bent a little and kissed her forehead. Her head moved a little but I didn't want to scare her. So I decided to wait for the doctor.
"Hi Mr Speedle I see you finally escaped " he smiled and sit to be at my eyes' level.
"How's she?"
"As you see -not bad. "
"Awake?"
"Yeah. She's asleep after medicines. But will wake up soon. "
"What will happen then?"
"You're scared aren't you???  Of what?she won't hurt you..."
"It's not like that...i just feel guilty".
"It's not your fault. She didn't break down because of you, right?Nothing to be worried about."
"Can she sit or eat? " I didn't see the life machines or anything..
"Yes, sure. She does everything on her own, mostly"
"So why didn't she come to see me"
"I don't know. She knows you're down there. We can't make her do it. It must be her decision."
"Is she talking to anyone?"
"Your brother. But I guess she doesn't know who he is. However he's very patient."
"Ok thanks".
"Gotta go. Ask me whatever you like ok?"
I was sitting there desperately wanting to touch her, but I was afraid. She looked so fragile
Harry came with two cups of coffee and passed me one.
"She looks good, Tim. Really."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean she's so peaceful".
"I'd like to talk to her."
"So talk."
"I...I don't know. "
I touched her face and cheek. She moved her face up and down and opened her eyes. Then she looked at us not fully awaken. She noticed me, then Harry. And finally smiled.
To him.
I froze.
"Courtney..".I said.
She turned her head to me
"..T..tim?"
"Yeah..it's me. How are you?"
"Fine I guess.. Harry? What's going on? Harry???"
"It's ok Court.. It's ok. "
I turned around and wheeled out of the room.
He was there minute later
"Hey, what's going on?"
"What's going on?? That should be me asking that! What are you doing ,man? She's my gifriend!!!!?MINE!"
"Tim, calm down... You're annoyong her...Easy."
"How does she know you"
"I was visiting her while you couldn"t... I knew you wouldn't like her to be alone there."
"Yeah, so I see she's not alone anymore... "
"Come on ,Tim...she's yours I know... But she must sort it all out... Give her time. And now, come back there. She gets anxious easily."
"You know what, Harry? I'm the Speedle she loves. Not you".
"I know" he said patiently. "Don't worry ok?"
I wheeled back and he didn't follow.She looked at me sadly.
"Hi. "
"Hi, babe. Feeling better?"
"Weak, Tim."
"I see. But better? You look tired".
"I'm under the drugs influence. It's normal, Harry told me. "
"Yeah, Harry..."
"He told me you were very seriously wounded when... when..."
"Hush. Do'nt think about it. But yeah, I was. That's why I couldn't visit you earlier. I had permission today so here I am"
"Any scar to your collection?"
"Yeah". I showed her the plaster.  "And I'm lighter- without my spleen."
She didn't quite catch the joke so I skipped it "and you? "
"Better. Cal was there but the talk didn't work out. And H. But didn't want to tell me more than it's all over."
"It is. Finally."
"Thank god".
"I missed you so much " I dared to say. She smiled
I came a bit closer and wanted to hug her. She let me do it, but mechanically. What she didn't let me, was kissing her.
"Hun, what's up?"
"I'm not ready Tim. Not yet.
And I'm tired. Go away please".
"But..."
"GO AWAY!! " She got nervous.
Harry and Dr Martinez entered hurriedly.
"Come on, Tim. Let's go".
"No, I want to stay."
"Not now Mr Speedle. Later". "Courtney, calm down. Calm down."
"Harry!!!" She called "Harry! Please stay!."
He looked at me with despair.
"Ok, stay". I murmured and wheeled out. Straight to the elevator and to my room.
I knew I've lost her. I felt betrayed. By my own brother. Just when I started to get used to him... He used me.
"Tim?" He peeped his head into the room.
I said nothing so he entered.
"It's not like this. Not what you think"
"WELL WHAT DO I THINK, HUH?"
"Don't shout. I'm the face she knows from the very beginning. She's unstable a bit yet, but you must understand- she's been thru hell... She's coming back slowly. To you- not to me. I've already got someone very special in my life, don't worry. Actually I wanted to tell you but..."
The door opened and Cal came in. "Hi you guys! I've heard you're already sitting Tim! That's great."
She gave me a hug and approached Harry. "You ok?"
"Yeah, Cal. Tim, I've been trying to tell you that we decided to try".
"What?" I was puzzled.
"Me and Calleigh. Friendship can be a good start."
"Really? Calleigh?"
"Yes, Tim. It's time for me to move on, don't you think?"
"I guess...well probably. However good luck to you both. Now - I'm a bit tired, can you guys leave me alone?"
"Yes, sure." She looked concerned. "Have you been to see her?"
"Don't wanna talk about it. Need some rest.See you later" .
I turned back to them in my bed