11.

"So where the hell are you?" I heard Henry's loud voice.
"On my way. Sorry. Had a lot to do. Be there in 15 minutes."
"I'll meet you around the corner , next to the morgue. " He hung up.
"What the heck... "I entered the parking lot in 12 mins.
"Why here?"
"We ought to leave on time. You were late your first day"
"Yeah..."
"...So I left on time and took you from here. End of case. But I don't like people being late, Speedle. Don't do it too often".
"Thanks Henry. Can I call you that?"
"Sure. So... Tim, right?"
"Speed." I shook his hand. "But you can call me Tim as well."
"Ok. Better be going. The usual is from here to Glades. Few stops on the way. Then a break half way. We sometimes get special transportation assignments. Sometimes we're called by dispatch when somethings going on in the neighbourhood, but that's rare.Rather normal boring shifts. Nothing exciting here"
"Not much to do...."
"Yeah..."
"So why am I here?"
"There's a vacancy here, that's why probably. "
"Oh- and that is because?"
"My partner doesnt work anymore" he said quickly.
"Oh... Retired?"
"No. Deceased."
I choked with the apple I was eating.
"Really?"
"Yeah. Last month. Shot at the scene."
"Geez... I'm sorry mate. Didn't know"
"Yeah. I'm over it. But it was hard. 32 yo. Wife and 3 kids. It was a mess. No open kasket."
I hung my head. What a coincidence...or maybe not? Maybe it's Stetler's sick joke? I know he doesn't like me, but giving a partner like me to Henry, still mourning after a friend, was just cruel..
"Have a family of your own?"
"Yeah. Wife and two daughters".
"How old?"
"18 and 16".
"Quite big girls I must say".
"Yeah" he smiled." One is in the college, the other one in high school. You?"
"No". I said quickly
Henry moved his eyebrows.
"Nobody?"
"I'm seeing somebody actually. But nothing more yet."
"Parents?"
"No. No parents".
"Just like me. Mine are long time dead. Yours?"
I said nothing. I didn't want to share it with anybody.
"Ok ok.... You don't have to say that. I'm not nosy, just...being friendly."
"I know".
"Ok, so now- I'm driving there, you"re driving back. That way we can both have some time to eat or talk. Wanna sandwich?"
"Nah, I don't eat much".
"So I see... I've never seen a policeman at your age to be that slim. Not in patrol" he laughed loudly.
"Yeah". I smiled." I put some weight recently actually. I'm after... After long recovery."
"So I've heard."
"You have?"
"Had a talk to det. Bernstein. It's good to have some info about the guy who covers your ass."
"And what did he tell you, huh?"
"The secret it is" he smiled. "Lots of good things. Really. But he also told me youre hard in everyday functioning. Pain in the ass."
"that means? "
"You're moody and gloomy ;)"
"Yeah, I suppose I am... Sorry."
"No problem. I'm cheerful and talkative so we're gonna be a good pair for these 2 months.
Maybe we could grab a beer sometimes?"
"If I only have time. I still work in the morgue 7 hours a day. "
"Geez... Workaholic you are."
" No. Just have to earn the living. I had nothing when I left the hospital, with only the last paycheck. My condo still looks like an empty house. Just bed and wardrobe. "
"Oh...sorry I didn't know."
"But you knew I was dead 2 months ago?"
"Yeah. I heard the rumours. Good to be home?"
"Yeah. Very good. I've suffered a lot and I want some peaceful and quiet life for a while."
"And the girl? Any of us?"
"CSI. Courtney Walsh"
"Well, boy, you like trouble I see.."
"Why? "
"You know- her and the shit detective..."
"Wasn't her fault"
"No. I know. But he was a weirdo. A freak. Looked like the psychopath from the very beginning."
"She didnt know..."
"I know. But he left her in pieces and never showed up again. But believe me, son, people like him always come back to take what's theirs."
"I'm aware of it."
"....And there are rumours that it's probably gonna be sooner than later."
"Yeah. I will keep my eye on her."
"No...you didn't understand me. He did an awful thing to her, but he is gonna do a very nasty thing to the man she's close with. So be careful. I like you, don't want to lose another partner."
I was driving in silence, thinking about what he told me. The dispatch woke me up from my thoughts
"Domestic violence, car 12-24- you're the closest. Sending you the address."
I turned on the signal lights and turned left. When we came, there was a 4 or 5 yo boy standing in front of the door. He was crying, and wasn't completely dressed. I took him to the car and took out my gun.
"MDPD. Whats going on here?"
The father- I guess- was standing there with a knife, and his hand was squeezing woman's hair. She was kneeling, her eyes asking 'where's my boy..'
"Let her go, man" said Henry. "Let her go".
"The whore is a cheater" the man said. I noticed he was not only drunk but also on drugs. His slanting eyes were lookin at us, moving left and right quickly. He suddenly moved up, and the woman straightened, crying. I noticed she was pregnant. Geez... I looked at Henry and realized he saw it too. He nodded his head.
"Ok mate." He said. "She's maybe the whore, but a baby isn't guilty of that. "
"I' ll take the shit out of her!!!!" the man put the knife closer to the woman's belly. She started screamin.
I tried to move left more and more to have the chance of coming around them. He barely noticed me, had to take a lot of it shit. When I was slightly behind her, I saw the blood on woman's shorts. I showed Henry that's rather urgent.
"Put down the knife !!!" Henry shouted "Last time man!"
The woman started crying again and bowed front. I already knew why. She wasn't scratched, she was in labour... However the belly looked small, so maybe it was premature.
"Let her go!!!" I said
He turned around in surprise and at the very same moment Henry shot his hand. Then he ran quickly to him and put the handcuffs. The man was still kicking and swearing. I knelt by the woman who fell on the floor.
"Ma'am, are you ok? Is that due time?"
"No... It's in two months...please help me... I can't do it yet...please!"
I took my radio and called for help. She was laying on the floor, bleeding, and even not being a father or a doctor I knew we can't stop it at that point. 
"Hold on ma'am the rescue is on the way. "
Henry took the guy out and put him into the car taking out the boy previously.
I saw the woman pushing, because she couldn't resist it anymore. I got up and took the towels from the bathroom thinking 'wheres the fucking rescue?'
"Please don't leave me, please..."
"I'm not going anywhere" I said. But I was panicked. I didn't know what to do. Henry probably would, but he wasn't here.
"Oh god... It's coming! The woman screamed and I suddenly saw it. She pushed for the last time and all I saw was the huge amount of blood flooding out...along with the tiny body...
I couldn't move. I froze. I saw her horrified eyes and I suddenly started acting. Came closer and took the tiny, motionless baby. It wasn't breathing.
"HENRY ! QUICK!"
He entered and saw the scene.
"Ma'am? Ma'am?"
"The baby's not breathing..."
"Turn it over and try to put the little finger inside its mouth Speed. There's too much rubbish inside. "
"Ma'am?" He was shaking her "maam? Keep fighting! MA'AM!!!"
I was kneeling down, put the little creature on my palm and did what he said. The baby moved a little and went still again.
"Speedle cut the umbilical! She's not gonna make it,so will the boy. It's his only chance."
Henry squeezed it in two tight laces and I cut it with the scissors from the emergency box he must have brought from the car.
I heard the sirens in the distance and saw the baby moving a bit, blooded all over, and a very quiet voice coming from its tiny mouth.I put it into the towel and said "show it to the mother."
"No point." He said with tired eyes. "She's already dead."
The very same moment the paramedics entered and took it over. We went outside to give some information about the situation to the emergency team.
I saw Henry standing and walking to the car fast.
I realized what's going to happen...
"HENRY! STOP!! STOP NOW!!!! HE'S NOT WORTH IT, HENRY. "
I grabbed his arm to stop him and suddenly felt my cheek explode. I realized he hit me. I sat on the floor and noticed the rescuers keeping him out of the car until he calmed down.
All I heard before passing out was the doctor's voice " time of death 6.40. Child's- 6.55...."
Shit.