Chapter 16-Not a Lost Cause

TAYLOR POV

    "TAY! TAYLOR!!" John yelled from across the hallway.

I turned, I knew this meant Zac. No one yelled at me like that unless it had to do with Zac. Especially when it was John. He somehow knew everything.

"What?" I asked.

"Zac! He- He ran! He left the school! Luke said shit in front of everyone and now...he's gone!"

My eyes widened, "Shit" I mumbled as I sprinted from my locker and out the door. The teachers were probably very fed up with these Hanson kids running around everywhere.

   I sprinted passed the lake near the house when I saw something. I sprinted back, gasping for air. It was Zac's clothes. Shit.

    I ran down to the shore of the lake and saw Zac's figure floating to the bottom. Tears sprang to my eyes and I dove into the freezing cold water, to save my brother, once again.

    I could see him. He had his eyes closed and a hair band wrapped around his wrists as he tried to drown himself. I grabbed his arms. His eyes shot open and he saw me. I saw his bloodshot eyes from crying and I saw how terrified he was. Deep down, he didn't want to die.

    I swam him back up to the top of the water and gasped for air. Zac coughed and sputtered.

    "No!! Tay!! STOP! LET ME GO!! I just wanna die!! I-I just wanna die...." he trailed off as I held him close to me. With tears streaming down my face, I drug him to the shore and sat him down.

    "Why, Taylor?" He asked, sobbing. He didn't know what he was saying.

    "Why what?"

    "W-Why do people have to be that way?"

    "What way, Zac?" I asked, hugging him closer to me as he cried on my shoulder.

   "Mean! Horrible! Nasty! They make me feel worthless, Taylor!" He sobbed.

    More tears ran down my face, "I-I don't know, Zac."

    "And why didn't you let me die? I just want to end it, Taylor! You don't understand!"

    "I love you, Zac! And I don't want you gone! Right now, you mean everything to me! And if you died...Zac, I don't know what I'd do. You aren't worthless or stupid. And it will get better." I sobbed.

    "How do you know that?" He whispered, seeming to come back to himself.

    "I don't know Zac. I don't know a lot of stuff. All I know is that you need help, Zac. You shouldn't have to face this alone."

    He sniffed, "I love you, Taylor."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ZAC POV

    As I lay in bed that night, I kept thinking about if Taylor hadn't saved me. If Taylor hadn't saved me, I'd be dead at that moment. Gone. Put out of this misery.

    And although it sounded great, I also knew it wouldn't be. After Taylor saved me for like the fourth time, I realized that he does really want me here.

Then I started thinking about Tori. Was she watching me? Did she know what I tried to do? Suddenly I felt shame. Tori wouldn't have wanted this for me. Even though in her last days, she pushed me away, she still loved me. She wouldn't want this.

I looked over at Taylor's sleeping form. He wouldn't have risked his life that day if she didn't want me here. He loves me. Isaac loves me. Tori loved me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Zac, please tell me why you did that. Please." My mother begged me the next afternoon. Taylor had told her what I attempted to do yesterday.

I looked down in shame, "I just...don't want to be here anymore." I whispered for the third time that day.

"Why?"

"I-I don't know."

"Zac, you need help. Like...like a support group or something. A therapist. Someone! Anyone who can help!"

"No one can help mom. Didn't you read my letter? I'm a lost cause." I whispered. It was all out in the open. Everyone knew how messed up I was now after that stupid letter.

She walked up to me and cupped my face with her hands, "No, Zac. No, you aren't. I know that because I wouldn't give birth to a lost cause. I wouldn't love a lost cause with everything I have. You have so much to see and do with your life and I will not allow you to throw it away because of some lousy kids at school and how they make you feel." Tears poured down her cheeks. Tears poured down my cheeks too, "After this semester is over, you're going to be homeschooled again."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry this is such a short chapter but I felt this was a good way to end this one. Hopefully the next chapter will be up really soon! Thank you for reading!