4. Jack and Kayla Go to Town

"How was your day," Jack asked as the two walked along the harbor. They'd taken a taxi downtown and Jack had made pleasant conversation with the driver the entire ride.

Kayla was quickly noticing that he was extremely outgoing and friendly - the type of person whose presence comforted people, put them at ease.

"It was good. I made a friend. This is her dress actually. She lent it to me," Kayla said.

"Wow sharing clothing already huh," he grinned. "Well you look great, white suits you."

She blushed deeply, looking away from his eyes and focusing on the cobblestone beneath her feet. "Thanks. How was your day?"

"It was pretty rough," he sighed. "One of my patients, Sam... sweet little kid... he should be better by now but his antibiotics aren't reducing the inflammation in his lungs. So tomorrow we're going to biopsy, see if we can make a more targeted treatment plan." His brows furrowed as he spoke.

"Aw, poor little guy," Kayla said. "You think maybe he has SJIA?" she wondered aloud.

"Hm..." he considered it and for a moment he was lost in thought.

"Jack," she said softly, calling his attention.

He looked at her intently, studying her face, and then his mouth twitched into a small smile. "I knew you were smart," he said. "You're going to make a great doctor one day."

"I hope so," she replied, smiling back at him. 

"Here we are," he said as he walked her up to the doors of a restaurant called Rusty Scupper.

"Don't let the name fool you," he remarked, holding the door open for her, "They have the best oysters in town."

The inside of the restaurant was beautiful, with glossy hardwood floors, wooden paneling and floor to ceiling windows displaying a breathtaking view of the harbor.

"Table for two?" The hostess asked, smiling and looking Jack up and down.

"Please," Jack said.

"Indoors or outdoors?" She said sweetly, batting her eyelashes at him.

"Outdoors if you have anything," he said before turning to look down at Kayla.

"I want you to get the full Baltimore experience," he said, smiling at her.

Kayla rolled her eyes playfully. The hostess looked at Kayla and then back at Jack, observing the interaction between them.

"Alrighty then," she interrupted curtly, "Follow me."

She showed them to a table on the patio overlooking the marina. Jack pulled a chair out for Kayla as the hostess placed their menus.

"Enjoy your meal," the hostess said, half-heartedly before darting back inside.

The server came by to take their drink orders and Kayla ordered a glass of white wine. Jack ordered a Sprite, commenting that he "doesn't drink alcohol".

Kayla found that curious and wanted to ask him why but she didn't get the chance because at that moment a man in a suit came over to the table.