10. Surprise

The rest of the week went by slowly. Kayla was anxious about what Jack had planned for Saturday. What am I supposed to wear, she asked herself ever day that passedHe'd said no heels so she figured it was something that involved physical activity. Hiking? Paintball?  She had no clue. She didn't want to show up in exercise clothes to find that it would've been more appropriate to wear jeans. She had tried to get clues out of him when he called her on Wednesday to see how she was doing, but to no avail. His lips were sealed. It didn't help that Nisa's relationship with Dom was flourishing; whenever they weren't busy with classes and homework Nisa would go over to his place to do, God knows what. Kayla had no one to vent to. She'd tried calling Ryan about it but his advice was that she should go with a full face beat, wearing a dress and heels anyways. "You'd be surprised the things you can do in a dress and heels" had been his exact words.

When Saturday finally came around, Nisa woke Kayla up bright and early.

"Rise and shine!" She said, full of energy.

Kayla rubbed her eyes and looked at the clock. 8:45 am. On a Saturday.

"Can I get just one more hour?" she muttered, putting the pillow over her head.

Nisa climbed on Kayla's bed attempting to pull the pillow from her face.

"You wanna look good for your date don't you?" she asked.

"It's not until 2."

"I need time to work my magic."

"Ughhhhh you suck," Kayla groaned, sitting up in bed and throwing the pillow at Nisa.

Kayla showered and then walked into Nisa's room in her towel, sitting down at the vanity table. Nisa blow dried her hair and then straightened it, which altogether took at least an hour. When she finished with Kayla's hair she put on some music and started on her makeup.  Kayla insisted on a natural look and Nisa promised not to go full glam. Kayla was skeptical as to whether or not Nisa was capable of such a thing, but was pleasantly surprised.

Then it was time for the hard part... Kayla sat on her bed in front of her closet as Nisa flipped through the hangers.

"What about a sundress and sandals?" Nisa proposed, stuck on the idea of Kayla wearing a dress for the date.

"But what if we're doing something that requires me to run around?"

"Well you're not wearing athletic shorts that's for damn sure, not after I just slayed your makeup," Nisa scoffed. "I mean really, what kind of man doesn't tell you what you'll be doing on the date?" She plopped down next to Kayla on the bed.

"Jeans?" Kayla suggested.

"Fine," Nisa sighed, frustrated. "I'll allow it."

Kayla pulled out a pair of ripped jeans and paired it with a tight white off-the-shoulder top, looking at Nisa awaiting her confirmation.

She nodded. When Kayla was dressed Nisa spritzed her with perfume.

"Alright," she stood back to look at her, "you look cute," she said, smiling.

It was only 12:30 when Nisa finished so Kayla decided to make lunch for the two of them. They sat on the couch and watched cartoons as they ate.