20. Pretty Woman

Jack sat on the couch in the girls' living room, waiting for Kayla to finish getting ready. Nisa, who had already finished Kayla's makeup was now sitting on the chair across from Jack, sizing him up. He wearing a black suit and tie with black dress shoes. He crossed and uncrossed his legs, feeling a little like a guy waiting for his prom date.

"So you work here? At Hopkins?" Nisa said, squinting her eyes at Jack.

"I do, yeah, at the main hospital. The one on Orleans St," Jack answered politely. Kayla had told him to expect an interrogation from her roommate and best friend, Nisa, and he was prepared for any question she might ask.

"And you're not married?" She asked, switching subjects.

"No, not married. Not anymore."

"And kids? Do you have any kids?"

Jack chuckled at that. "No kids. Not any of my own anyways. Just my patients."

"Do you still have feelings for your ex-wife?"

"No m'am."

"What are your intentions with my friend?"

"Well," he paused. "I really like her and care about her a lot. I can tell you care about her too."

"I do," Nisa said, with a small smile. "So you already know what I'm gonna have to do if you break her heart."

Jack laughed, "I'm glad she has a friend like you. I don't want to break her heart, I only want to make her happy as best I can."

"One more question," Nisa said, serious again.

"Go ahead," he said, bracing himself.

"Don't you think you might be a little too old for Kayla. I mean she's 22, well, 23 next week and you're... how old?"

"23 next week? Her birthday is next week? She didn't tell me..." Jack said, brow furrowed.

"Yeah, I had to pry it out of her. She doesn't like people to make a big deal out of her birthday."

"That sounds just like her," he said shaking his head.

Nisa chuckled, "She's stubborn like that. But back to my question."

"Of course," he smiled. "I'm 37. And yeah, I do think it's quite an age gap. I struggled with the idea of it for awhile..." he hesitated, looking down at his hands, "And I know how it looks, but it doesn't feel wrong."

At that moment Kayla opened her bedroom door and came out into the living room. Jack stood up and turned to look at her. The floor-length champagne colored dress he bought her fit her shape perfectly. Her hair was slicked back into an elegant bun at the top of her head and she had completed the look with diamond earrings and dark red lipstick, as per Nisa's advice. The sight had Jack at a loss for words.

"Well you clean up nicely," Kayla smiled, breaking the silence.

"Words couldn't do justice to how you look right now," Jack said, still awestruck.

"Ok you two," Nisa said.

Jack held out his arm and escorted Kayla to the door.