25. Happy

"Well don't you look cute," said Kiana, looking Kayla up and down, approving of the strapless baby blue tube dress she was wearing. "And happy birthday, of course," she smiled, handing her a bottle of Malibu. Kiana was a third year who Kayla hardly knew, but for some reason Ryan had added to his giant list of invites. Kayla was beginning to think this party was less for her and more for Ryan. She didn't mind though, Ryan was far more popular than herself; her list of friends was much shorter, certainly not enough to fill a party.

"Thanks," Kayla smiled half-heartedly, setting the bottle down on the counter.

Although she was surrounded by classmates, friends, and alcohol as far as the eye could see, she still wasn't enjoying herself. But she didn't want to ruin everyone else's fun so she was being a good sport. As Kiana disappeared into the crowd, Matt hopped on the counter next to Kayla.

"Cheer up, birthday girl," he said, cracking open a beer.

Kayla sighed and put on a fake smile, "Better now?"

Matt laughed and shook his head, looking off into the crowd. His eyes landed on Nisa, who was mingling and pouring drinks like the hostess she was made to be.

"You like her," Kayla said, noting the longing in his eyes.

"What? No.." Matt said, averting his eyes.

"You don't have to lie. I know you, Matt."

Matt sighed. "Okay.. So what if I like her. It doesn't matter, she's not into me. She likes the Italian with the fruity name."

Kayla laughed. "Dom?"

Matt grunted, taking a swig of his beer.

"If you like her then tell her. And, I don't know, maybe stop acting like an asshole 24/7."

"I'll tell her when you stop moping around," Matt smirked.

Kayla grabbed the bottle of Malibu and poured two shots.

"What are you doing?" Matt said, watching her.

"I'm being done moping around. We're taking a shot," Kayla handed him a shot glass.

Matt grinned. "Good. You're too pretty to be moping around," he raised his glass to hers. "To being happy," he said.

Kayla smiled. "To being happy," she echoed.

---

About an hour later, Kayla decided to step outside the party into the hall for some air, needing a break from fake-smiling with people she barely knew. Matt had, thankfully, volunteered his place for the party so Kayla was free to escape to her apartment down the hall. As she stepped out she noticed a tall man leaning against the door to her and Nisa's apartment.

"Jack?" Kayla said, recognizing his dark hair and chiseled jaw as she approached. He looked up at the sound of her voice.

"Kayla?" He ran his hand nervously through his hair.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I was hoping to talk to you."

Kayla gave him a long, cold look.

"Kayla, please. Just 5 minutes."