17. Table for Two

Jack figured it would take about 15 minutes for Kayla to get from where she lived to his apartment downtown, so he'd have to get ready quickly. He took a quick shower and changed into a button-down and a pair of jeans. He was lighting a few candles in the kitchen when he heard a knock on the door.

He opened the door to see Kayla, struggling with four grocery bags. He chuckled. She looked adorable and sexy at the same time, if that was possible, in just shorts and a tank top with her hair tied up.

"Here, let me get those for you," he said taking the bags out of her hands. "You should've called me, I would've helped you carry these up."

She smiled, "I guess I underestimated how heavy they'd be."

Jack laughed again, this time at the fact that Kayla thought the bags had been heavy. He lifted them with ease.

"So what's for dinner chef?" Jack asked, eyeing the groceries.

"Ok so I wasn't exactly sure all what you like so I got a few things," she said. "Seared scallops because I know you at least like seafood. Salmon with roasted potatoes and zucchini because who doesn't like salmon. And sambusa because I want you to be able try authentic Ethiopian food if you haven't already."

"You're amazing," Jack said, staring at her in awe.

"Maybe wait until after you've tried it before you start singing praises," she smirked as she began pulling food from the grocery bags.

"How can I help?"

"You got a cutting board?"

Jack showed her around the kitchen so that she could familiarize herself with where everything was. Although Jack himself didn't cook, aside from the occasional piece of toast and scrambled eggs, his kitchen was truly a chef's dream. He had stainless steel, carbon-steel and enameled cast-iron pots and pans, and plenty of other high quality cook and bakeware. Kayla was especially excited to try out the carbon-steel pan, as she'd never used one before.

"I wish I had your kitchen," Kayla said, as she chopped basil leaves on the cutting board. Next to her Jack was halving the potatoes.

"Well you're free to cook here any time," he said smiling at her. "Especially if it means I get to be your taste tester."

"What do you normally do for food when I'm not here cooking?"

"Starve," Jack joked. "I usually eat out. I'm sure by now I've eaten at every restaurant on the harbor at least once."

Kayla marinated the salmon and the scallops as the potatoes roasted. Then she began prepping the filling for the sambusa. Jack sat on the counter watching her and entertaining her with OR stories while she cooked.

When the potatoes were almost done Kayla put the salmon in the oven and began searing the scallops on the skillet. In a pan next to it she fried the sambusa. Jack found the sight of her flipping food on the pan incredibly attractive. He had to refrain himself from coming up behind her, grabbing her waist and pulling her into him.

The smell of the food made his stomach growl.

"Hungry?" Kayla laughed.

"Yeah, long day," Jack said.

"Don't worry, it shouldn't be much longer."