What the Stories Neglect

"Do you remember Ruri?~"

The stories always neglect to mention reasons. What Shizuo knew about Izaya was that he was a blood thirsty wolf that convinced people to kill themselves. He had never seen these bodies himself, but knew of the people that died. Though, these are all facts. Wolf convinces humans to commit suicide. It was so black and white it could be a newspaper headline.

Shizuo was all for simple answers. He had no problem with thinking in black and white. Life was better when you didn't think too much, right? He didn't give much thought to the stories because of this. He didn't ask himself, why? Why did Izaya do that? Because if he asked that, a little grey spot would appear. Reasons aren't black and white. They can range from dull greys to crimson red, all depends on the person.

If one were to compare Shizuo and Izaya's mind, a very extreme difference would be spotted. On one hand you see Shizuo, simple black and white without much change. On the other, Izaya, whose is a brilliant blend of colors you might not even find in the rainbow. Comparing them in this way is not to say one is smarter than the other. No, this means that Shizuo shuts off his curiosity and willingness. That was why Shizuo was so closed minded. That was why Shizuo seemed "simple" to others. Not because his learning ability was less than anyone else, but because he chose not to be curious.

Izaya, the complete opposite, has too much curiosity and willingness to learn. Therefore, he will take in any new idea someone throws at him. He will pick it apart and dissect it till he's made it his own. Yet, after so much of this, he is still zealous to learn more.

After just a few days of interaction with Izaya, though, Shizuo started to open his mind. He started--no, wanted to think about what Izaya's motivation was. He didn't just want to accept this wolf was a blood thirsty beast like he did before.

The raven haired wolf smirked triumphantly, eyes gaining a mischievous glint.

At first Shizuo stuttered. He didn't know how to respond. How did Izaya know about Ruri, his brother's friend. As far as he knew, the wolf didn't know jack about him aside from what he said himself. If that was all true, then how? How did this wolf know about Ruri...

"How?" the blond was able to ask through his confusion.

The raven leaned himself against a tree, arms crossing over the other. He tilted his chin up a bit to give the allusion he was looking down on the taller male.

"It's simple, Shizu-chan. I met her. Before she strung herself up in a tree, that is."

Shizuo felt his eyes widen in shock. Was it really Izaya who killed her? What reason did Izaya have to kill a little girl? Shizuo asked himself this, in his heart, wanting to believe Izaya was just messing around. He hoped this was a sick joke. That Izaya didn't convince Ruri to hang herself. That Izaya wasn't a bad person. But the more Shizuo thought about it, the more he started to think Izaya did indeed do this.

"Why?" Shizuo asked, voice a bit above a whisper.

"Did you even know the girl? Did you even know what she was? If you did, you'd probably be happy she strung her self up."

Shizuo felt anger boil in his stomach.

"Of course I knew her!" he snarled. "She was always over--"

"What was she?" the wolf interrupted.

The question confused the blond, which in turn, pissed him off. Running a hand through his shaggy locks the boy let a low sound escape his throat.

"The hell do you mean? She was just a little girl."

Izaya moved slowly, each step was heavy like the look in his eyes. The way his eye lids drooped and lips twitched upwards made Shizuo almost step back. Something predator shone in that look. The approaching wolf bared his teeth ever so slightly, eyes flaring red.

"She was like me~" purred the wolf, now only a few feet away.

Shizuo stopped. His mind sputtered with explanations and reasons. Nothing made sense. That made no sense. Ruri, Kasuka's best friend, was a wolf? She looked human, she acted human, she was human. How could she not be? The blond's mind rejected this idea. The thought was cast away like yesterday's paper. Not even Izaya's explanation would bring the idea back. Shizuo was stubborn, there was no acceptance of an new idea when he had decided on something. And he had decided that Ruri was, and always will be, a human.

Standing his ground Shizuo clenched his fists. Veins bulging with agitation; the one on his temple in particular.

"No," he growled, teeth gritting together, words hissing through the spaces between as it fromed from his chest. "Ruri was not a monster, like you."

Izaya tilted his head up, the inky smudge of his eyelashes hooding the glowing red.

"She wasn't a wolf like me, she was part, though."

This wasn't right, Shizuo thought. This wasn't true.

"Stop lying you, fleabag!"

"I'm not--"

Both of their gazes ripped from eachother.

A loud sound erupted from the direction of Shizuo's town.

"The warning bell. . ." Shizuo whispered.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yay! Update! Nothing really progressed and I'm not really happy with this chapter. But, it's what I got so...yeah. Sorry for mistakes! Vote or comment if you liked it!