Revenge is sweet, Red is sweeter

The sound of revenge rang through his entire being. Louder than any warning bell, louder than any cry, and louder than any last call to rationality he had.

-

After what felt like an eternity of tears his senses started to return. He could hear the people around them starting to come too as well. Once Shizuo started his rampage the townspeople scattered to cover. A pit formed in the boy's stomach, had he hurt anyone? He lost it and it was very likely he could've injured or killed a human. Releasing the grip he had on Izaya the blond sat up. Finally seeing the destruction he wrought.

The dirt was stained a rusty red from blood. Shattered trees and pieces of buildings sprinkled the area speckled in blood as well. Bodies of dead wolves laying in their own blood and filth made Shizuo's stomach churn in disgust. The feeling of nausea swept over him, especially at the sight of his own body. Covered in blood splatter and hands calluses from ripping up weapons to use. Bite marks that still slightly oozed, scratches that ran too deep for any normal human. He felt so sick he started to gag.

"Shizu-chan..." A voice cut through his mind snapping all his attention to the speaker. "They're just wolves. You saved the humans, that's what matters."

Shizuo felt heat prick his eyes, tears threatening to flow once more. If only he had time to really come to terms with this--but now wasn't the time. People started to come out clearly seeing the calamity that filled towns square. And at the center of it all was Shizuo.

Realizing this the wolf knew they didn't have much time. Luckily, he thought, I'm here to save you, Shizu-chan. Swiftly getting to his feet the wolf glanced around. It was merely regular people, no sign of the hunters yet. Sighing in relief Izaya turned his attention to the boy still on the ground. Delicately holding out his hand to Shizuo the wolf smiled. It was a warm, inviting, and safe smile. A hand that reached out through darkness and fear. The sight of it stirred a resolve in Shizuo. A temporary strength in the form of Izaya.

He would deal with the guilt later. Deal with the pain of his actions another time. Attempt to sew the tear in his heart when there wasn't a soul around to see it. Right now the boy would take this life line and run with it. It didn't matter if he couldn't trust Izaya, it didn't matter if he was a wolf, all that mattered was taking his hand now. And relying on what this wolf had planned. Even if in the back of his mind a voice screamed against it. Taking his hand Shizuo got up. Resolved to trust his enemy.

Izaya swiped at the blond, narrowly missing his cheek. Shizuo had dodged in time and weakly swung back to which Izaya also dodged. Jumping back toward the forest. Shizuo knew why it had to be done but it still made his stomach sick.

The whispers of people around them fell deaf to his ears.

"He's really a monster..."

"Look how horrible!"

"Don't look, it's so disturbing!

"Where are the hunters?"

"Someone do something already..."

Till someone didn't whisper.

"Brother."

Shizuo's head turned to see Kasuka. His entire being wanted to cave in right then. Hug his brother tightly and pretend they could just go home and sleep off this nightmare. Eat dinner as a family. Laugh about stupid things again. But even he wasn't so naive.

Shizuo heard a growl from the wolf. He knew he should follow Izaya. But his heart was being torn in half. Part of him wished he hadn't seen Kasuka at all, but another was so relieved to see his brother safe. And to even get this chance.