➳ 19

To Jack's surprise, Cara and Spencer were waiting for him when he got off the plane, both of them looking a tired as he felt. If he felt bad yesterday, after reading the message Dylan had sent to him, he felt worse now, looking at the damage his disappearance had done to his best friends. He should have come back sooner— shouldn't have been such an asshole to them when all they were trying to do was help, but Jack Bryant was nothing if not an idiot. A colossal idiot. A colossal idiot that probably should've tried to make it work with JJ over the phone instead of flying back out there less than twelve hours after returning home.

          He was slow in approaching his friends, kept his eyes downcast— was afraid to see disappointment there, to see hatred. But, all too soon, he came to a stop in front of them, and let his carry-on bag drop to the floor with a dull thud. Around them, people continued with their days— rushing around them without a care in the world for the three adults just standing there.

         He took a deep breath and raised his head, meeting Cara's tired gaze with a sigh. "I'm sorry," he said, "I'm so, so—."

         Cara cut him off by pushing herself onto her tiptoes and wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him down her height as she lowered herself back onto her feet. She pressed a kiss to the side of his head, sniffling. "You're an idiot, Jack," she said, squeezing him tighter, "But you're our idiot, and we don't need an apology from you. I'm just glad you're okay."

        When she pulled away, Spencer pulled him in— wrapping his arms around him like Cara had done seconds before. He, too, pressed a kiss to the side of his head, then chuckled. "I thought I'd lost you forever, Jack. Don't you dare pull that shit ever again, alright?"

        "I won't," he promised, his voice hoarse. He wiped at his eyes, brushing away the tears that had gathered there. "I am sorry. It's just— it's JJ."

        "What about Shelley?" Cara asked as Spencer bent down to swipe Jack's carry-on from the floor, hooping her arm through his. "I thought you liked her now?"

         "I did— still do, I think, a bit. But—."

         "But it's JJ," Spencer finished for him as they began to walk.

         "And it's not like Shelley likes me like that, anyway." 

         Jack missed the look Cara and Spencer shared behind his back.

         "C'mon, Paisley's fallen asleep in the car, and I don't want her to think we've abandoned her."

---

the almighty squad is back again

#carspensonley