Chapter 7

*Meanwhile in Elaine's Room*

*Elaine's POV*

Staring at the roof, I kept myself busy with my thoughts about almost everything that happened recently. I was trying to intrude into this palace, into 'his' life for so long, ever since the day I promised myself that I'll take revenge of my mother's death.

I still remember that day few months ago when I was sure of being caged in his dungeons, but I still couldn't understand what made that heartless and arrogant 'Elvenking' just let me go. The way he looked at me was something that was unexpected, but thing that made me even more confused was that I couldn't read what was going on in his mind. I have this strength of reading inner thoughts of almost every being in the middle earth, but when it came to 'him', everything went blank. He looked shocked and confused for some reason, but can't say why.

I was still thinking about that incident when I heard a sound of flapping wings. I shot up from the bed and walked towards the windows to have a look outside and found nothing but only darkness. I sighed, but as I was about to close the windows, something flew past my face inside the room, making my body jolt backwards and falling on the ground."Ugh!" I exclaimed as my back made contact with the floor. I let out an irritated sigh as I tried to stand up by reaching out to touch the window sill to help me stand.

I looked around and my eyes landed on 'him' "You? What are you doing here?!" I asked as I saw 'him' in his human form. He rolled his eyes before speaking "Well, I'm happy to see you too my friend, I'm doing well." He spoke, ignoring my questions. "I'm serious Corbinian..." I said getting annoyed. "What if someone saw you flying around at this hour of night?" I asked with frown on my face. He sighed before speaking "I came to see if my friend is well or not, because I care, you know. And as for about me being seen by someone at this hour of night, I think most of them are sleeping right now." He smirked, making me roll my eyes.

"Whatever...Now you've seen me, and I'm absolutely fine. Now what?" Even though I was annoyed of his unexpected arrival, I was actually happy to see him after so many days. It always feels like it was only yesterday when I first met him.

*Flashback*

I was wandering through the forest when I heard a painful croaking sound of a raven. I followed the sound, feeling worried of what that poor creature might be suffering from. The voice lead me towards the edge of the forest, where a stream of fresh water flowed. I heard more croaking sound, this time louder than before. My eyes wander around until I saw a glimpse of a black wing flapping violently behind the bushes on the ground.

I walked towards it slowly and saw a raven, quite larger than normal, lying on the ground. Hesitantly, I kneeled down to have a close look at the wound. A poisioned arrow was stuck on the bird's other wing. I reached out to touch the bird, while with my other hand I tried to remove the arrow from the wing. After removing it, the bird let out a loud painful cry, making me flinch.

My hands rummaged through my satchel to find something that could be useful. Kingsfoil. I grabbed the weed and rubbed it gently in my palms then placed it on the wounds, saying healing prayer that my mother taught me. Some time later, I saw a hint of calmness spreading through the raven's body, I couldn't help but smile in relief. I binded his wing with scarf that I was wearing and went towards the river side to wash my hands.

Coming back to where I left the bird, I frowned when I saw nothing but only grass and bushes, along with some trails of blood. I followed the trails which lead me towards a tree and tilted my head to look behind it. What I saw made me jolt backwards, with one hand covering my mouth.

There sat a black haired human in his black robe, who was holding his side. He looked like he was in pain. I gasped and before he could turn around to look at me, I hid myself behind the tree. "I know you're there, My Lady. You don't need to hide from me." He spoke with his deep, soothing voice.

I hesitantly let go off the tree and revealed my face to him. He looked at me, flashing a smile and then bowed. "My Lady..." He spoke as he looked up to see me. "I'm Corbinian, king of the ravens. You saved my life, My Lady, I couldn't be more thankful to you." He bowed once again and I couldn't believe his words.

I smiled and bowed as I spoke "My king, you don't need to thank me. I'm just glad to be of some help." I looked at him as he smiled back "But I need to thank you, My Lady, what you just did is something which is rare to be seen in these days. I'll be forever in your debt..." He stopped for a moment then asked "Would you mind if you could tell me your name, My Lady?" "I wouldn't mind that at all, My Lord. I'm Elaine."

*End of Flashback*

Ever since then, we've been friends till this day. He was always there to talk to and would always guide me. He's more like a brother to me, and I'm so grateful to have someone to whom I can call a friend in this lonely world.

"I'm just scared for you Elaine. This is not an easy way, there's lot of risks in every step you take." He spoke, making me coming back to reality. I sighed "Sooner or later, I'd die anyway. I'm mortal. But I'll die in peace if I'd rip 'his' throat with my sword, just the way he did to my mother."

He sighed and frowned "I don't know why but you don't make me feel if you're mortal. It's been years since the day we met, Elaine, you haven't changed a bit. Didn't you ever think about that?" I frowned at him, he was right though. It's been more than 81 years since the day we met but I still didn't get a single wrinkle on my face, nor my hair turned grey. I've always ignored this, but it annoys me every time whenever Corbinian mentioned it, because even I don't know what's the reason behind all of this. 'What am I?'

"I-I don't know...But whatever it is, I'll discover it later. I'm more focused on the purpose I came here for." I said, turning my face away. "Alright then, now that you're doing well I'll see you later. For now I should leave." He smiled then within matter of seconds, he turned into his raven form and flew out through the window. I sighed as I watched him flying in the night sky then returned to the bed to catch up on my sleep.