Chapter 11

Few moments later, the King finally made it to the Healer's Room. Searching around, his eyes fixed over the figure laying on the bed. He rushed towards him and sat down on the floor beside the bed. He didn't care enough to act royal at this moment, all he wanted was to be as careful and affectionate, like a father towards his son. He reached out to touch his face, in a delicate way. He smiled a little as he observed the slight movement in his son's eyes, struggling to open up. Legolas groaned, then set his eyes on his father, who was looking directly at him, with tears in his eyes and a huge smile on his face. Legolas was surprised and happy at the sight in front of his eyes, and all he could do was smile. He couldn't believe if this was reality or hallucination. "Ada..." he struggled to push himself up to rest his back on the headboard but failed, as he groaned again in pain. "It's alright Ion nin, you must rest..." Thranduil assured him, smiling. Legolas smiled back, feeling more relaxed than ever.

"What happened?" Legolas asked, curiously, as he struggled hard not to groan in pain. Thranduil frowned, "You had some Berries, poisonous ones. But you're absolutely fine now, that's what matters the most." Thranduil didn't want to recall those hours spent worrying and having thoughts of losing his only son, who was precious to him more than anything else even when he wouldn't express those emotions.

Him and Legolas never had an actual father and son relationship, ever since he lost his wife. The loss of his wife took a huge piece of his heart, that left him suffer alone in the darkness. So lost in grieving about his wife's death, he forgot about his son. He didn't realise they both were on the same boat and had to look after for each other. Sadly, this understanding lacked among them, leaving them astray.

In his childhood, Legolas was mature enough to understand the change in his father's behaviour. He would try anything to spend some time with his father, but it often seemed like Thranduil was ignoring his presence. It did hurt him, a lot, for all he wanted was his father's love and attention. Years passed, the ice between Father and Son still remained. The warmth was lost long ago, and what left was the coldness. Now that Legolas was seeing his father smiling, it was a blessing for him.

"You should rest now, you still need some time to heal. We will talk later." With that Thranduil stood up and before he could step back, Legolas grabbed his hand and spoke,"Please Ada, stay here for a while till I fall asleep? " It was more like a question than a statement. There was slight nervousness as he spoke. It was childish thing to say, he thought, before letting go of his father's arm slowly. He felt embarrassed as soon as he dropped his hand. He was about to apologise but was surprised when he heard the words which came from his father.

"Of course I will, Ion nin." With that, Thranduil came to sit back on the same spot where he sat before. Legolas didn't know how to react to this. He was happy, surprised and slightly confused.
"Is everything alright? Are you in pain?" Thranduil asked as he observed his son staring at him with frown on his face. "Oh n-nothing, it's nothing.." Legolas replied as he turned his face away to stare at the ceiling.

Thranduil sat there looking at his son, observing the features of his face. His nose, his eyebrows and his eyes, which he got from his mother. He had always admired the resemblance, but at the same time, he had always felt the pain deep within his heart.

Thranduil turned his gaze away and closed his eyes. He sighed a little thinking about the times when Legolas would try to visit him to spend some time and how he used to turn him down. He had completely ignored his presence, not even thought of how difficult it would be for his only son to suffer alone. He regrets everything he did to his son, for being selfish and not being a good father to him.

He opened his eyes and found his son fast asleep, peacefully. He couldn't help but smile. His smile faded as a single tear from his eye rolled down his face at the thought of Gandalf's words "Those gems were not all that your wife left you, my friend. She left you a son. Tell me, which would she have you value more ..."