Prologue

"Mommy! Mommy! Look at this picture I made!" I said waddling as fast as I could on my chubby legs. My mother took the picture and smiled, hanging it on the refrigerator with a magnet. 

"Your father is going to love it." She said and I grinned back at her. 'My mommy is the best. So is my daddy.' I thought. Just then the phone rang. The phone call that destroyed my life. Made my heart shatter into a million  pieces. If only I would've known. My mother attended the call with a smile. "Hello. Natalie Hart speaking. Yes. What happened? WHAT!? Which hospital? I'll be right there!" Mommys color drained out of her face. Her hands were trembling and she shakily put on her coat. Tears were visible in her eyes. 

"Mommy, what's wrong?" I asked with concern. "Baby just put your coat and shoes on. We have to go." She said her voice urgent. I obliged and put my boots on. And we left the house. It was the middle of December. The cold wind felt like a hard slap on my face. My fingers were numb after a few minutes."Mommy where are we going?" I asked. "T-the h-h-hospital, honey. It's daddy. He's in the hospital." I gasped and burst into tears. "Is he okay?" I asked "If you stop crying he will be alright." She replied, her voice trembling. I immediately stopped crying.

When we finally reached the hospital (by car) the smell of antiseptic met my nose. I scrunched it in disgust. I looked at my surroundings.  There was havoc everywhere. Doctors and nurses ran here and there. People were waiting for their loved ones. Some were even crying. 

''I hope daddy's okay' I thought.

Mommy asked the receptionist where my daddy was. He was in Room 99B. She briskly walked occasionally turning here and there until we finally reached the room. Mommy talked to the doctor and he let us go. Mommy  opened the door and I was met with the sight of daddy on the bed. His eyes were closed but when I happily shrieked his name he opened them and laughed.

But then I noticed the bandages and all his wounds. His face looked disheveled and he looked really weak. I also noticed the heart monitor. 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Normal. "Daddy are you going to be okay?" I asked him. He just smiled in reply. Today, I thought that I should have known. He was trying to tell me he won't survive. But being the stupid six year old girl I was the smile reassured me.

"My star," he said. He called me that. When I asked him why he said that it was the sparkle in my eyes."Can you sing to me?"

"Of course daddy." I replied smiling. "What should I sing?"

"Anything, my star, just sing to me." He replied smiling

"Okay" I closed my eyes and started singing the lullaby he used to sing to me:

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,

Lavender's green

When you are king, dilly dilly,

I shall be queen.

I opened my eyes slightly and he was smiling his eyes closed. "Daddy?" I said. "Continue" he replied and I started singing again.

Who told you so, dilly dilly,

Who told you so?

'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,

That told me so

Call up your friends, dilly, dilly

Set them to work

Some to the plough, dilly dilly,

Some to the fork

Beep, beeep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. 

The heart monitor. "Daddy, what's wrong?" I asked my voice quivering. "Nothing dear. Just one verse is left. Please sing it." If I would've known I could've saved him. I know I could've called the doctors and my mother but she was busy outside. If only I would've called somebody. If only. But like a stupid girl I continued singing.

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,

Lavender's green

When you are king, dilly dilly,

I shall be queen

Who told you so, dilly dilly,

Who told you so?

'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,

That told me so.

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.

"Daddy, what's happening? Please tell me." I said shakily, with tears streaming down my face. "Ella, my star listen to me carefully. Take good care of yourself. Get good marks. Grow up and live your life fully. Don't dwell on what's about to happen" he said

"Daddy why are you saying this?" I cried. Something was definitely wrong.

"Ella, remember what I tell you. You need to keep singing. Your voice will be a miracle someday. Just keep singing. Promise me." He said in a serious voice.

"Daddy-" I argued. But he cut in. "Promise me." He said. He was breathing heavily now. And I sensed that something bad was about to happen.

"I promise." I sighed.

He smiled and his last words were:

"Thank you, my star, thank you." Then he closed his eyes and left me forever.

Then everything was a blur. I shook him repeatedly and screamed his name begging him to wake up. But he wouldn't. The doctors came rushing in and I faintly remember mommy coming in and giving me a big hug. But I wouldn't stop crying. They took his body away. I screamed and shrieked at them that they had no right to take him away. That he would wake up and not be dead. Then after I finally calmed down I recalled the promise I made to him. His last and only wish. What if I didn't fulfill it? That would be wrong. That was daddy's last wish and I will make it come true. I will keep singing. With that thought, I silently cried myself to sleep as I had to wake up for the funeral tomorrow.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello lovelies! I'm sorry for such an emotional prologue but the story has to start this way. I was literally crying during writing this. Please tell me if I should continue. Anyways I will try to publish chapter1 as soon as I can. Until then........Adios Amigos!