Chapter 8

Hey Guys! I'm baaack! And for being such amazing readers I have a surprise for you guys. ☺️☺️ Enjoy!!!

Ryder's POV 🤑😎

"Ella, stop running from me. We need to talk."

She didn't reply. Anger and worry pulsed in my veins. After her outburst this morning I was anxious about her. I was ashamed of myself. How could I never notice her being upset? And then there's the fact that she's anorexic. Another wave of anxiety and mortification crashed into my stomach. 

How could I be so clueless? All the signs were right in front of me. Her, not eating lunch at school everyday. I also recalled her not eating popcorn when we watched that movie together. And then the reason why she was getting so frail and pale day by day. Gosh, I'm such an idiot.

I knocked at the stall door but she didn't answer. So, I opted for the only option left. Using the stall door handle as support I climbed the door and jumped inside the stall. 

Ella's body was sprawled over the tiled floor and at first I thought she was dead. That single notion made a shiver run down my spine and my heart stop. I shook my head and willed myself to calm down. I unlocked the stall door and carried Ella into my arms. She looked so weak and fragile.

I headed towards the nurses office but then reconsidered my decision. The nurse will ask too many questions and I wanted Ella to be checked by a doctor for her anorexia. Besides, who doesn't love to skip school?

                                                                         **********************

Ella hadn't woken up and I had to admit, I was impressed. That girl could sleep through a freaking zombie apocalypse. The doctor was currently running some tests and I had to wait outside.

"Mr. Matthews? Dr. Wilson wants to talk about the patient." A nurse smiled at me and took me inside the doctors office. 

The doctor looked up from his work and gestured me to sit down. He then handed me a file and looked at me intently.

I opened and pored over the report. Everything was fine except that she had anemia. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What's anemia?"

"Ah, Mr.Matthews I was waiting for you to ask that. So, Miss Hart was not eating for days, you said? This was the cause of anemia. Anemia is iron deficiency in the body. Now, it might sound  like nothing dangerous but it is actually a very injurious disease. You see, an iron deficiency may cause a lack of hemoglobin in the body which can cause organ failure. And then death."

My eyes widened and my throat went dry. I clenched my fists and exhaled. 

"Is there any way to prevent that? There are medications for it, right?"

"Yes, there are medicines for it." I sighed in relief and he continued. "But, as well as physical health, her mental health should also be kept in check."

"What do you mean?"

"What I'm meaning is she is taking too much stress. I don't know if it's family problems or school issues but she's taking it all to the head too much and that is also harmful. You need to keep her stress-free and happy."

"Is she awake?"

"Yes, she is in the next room."

He scribbled a prescription for her medications. I thanked him and was about to head out the door when he called me.

"Yes?"

"Take care of her Mr Matthews. You are her only hope now."

I just nodded and didn't reply. And at that moment I vowed to myself that I will never let Ella down and will win her heart in all circumstances. She wants a caring person? Well I'll show her how caring I can be.