chapter 1

*Graylin's Pov*

" Miss. Larkins will you care to explain what I just read to the class!" My teacher Mr. Scherer yelled, snapping me out from my day dream.
I've always had a problem with day dreaming since I was 12. But now it seems like they're getting worse.

"Well." Mr.Scherer said.

I hate this class, it's not even beneficial to everyday life. Well at least not to me. Mr. Scherer teaches students about The Guardians.

The Guardians are magical beings that are sent to protect people. They eventually mate with the people they protect.

Me? I never believed in them. Even after all the readings, and stories.It all just seems like a big myth.

"Miss. Larkins if you don't start paying attention in my class you will get detention. Understood?" Mr.Scherer announced.

"Yes, sir." I said softly.

The class erupted with laughter. I guess you could say I'm the outcast of the whole school. You would think I would have at least one friend during my last year of high school. But I don't.

I'm used to being the outcast, so their laughter didn't bother me. I learned just to brush it off.

The bell rings, meaning the end of school. The students rush out of the class room and scurry throughout the hallways.

"Miss.Larkins. May I have a word please?" Mr. Scherer asked.
I nodded and took a seat in the front row.

"Why is that you only zone out in my class. I've talked to the rest of your teachers and they've told me you never zone out in their classes." He said.

" It's just that I don't believe in The Guardians sir. I zone out because it's not important to me." I explained.

He shook his head in disappointment.
"Have you not seen the news reports about them? Have you not read the magazine articles?" He asked.

"That's only camera tricks Mr.scherer." I replied.

He sighed and rubbed his temples.
"May I see your necklace?" He pointed to my heart shaped necklace.

I found this necklace when I was 15. It was lying on page 143 of one of my books. I told my mom about it, she said it was a sign that I had a Guardian. But i never believed her.

I unclasped my necklace and placed it in Mr.Scherer's hand. He examined it carefully then stared at me.

" Who gave you this?" He asked.

" I don't know. I found it in my book 2 years ago ." I said.

He laid the necklace on his desk and pointed out the tree like design that was on it.
" The sign of a Guardian." He stated.

I rolled my eyes and huffed.
"Mr.Scherer there's not such-"

"You're so oblivious!," He snapped.
"Go. You'll see for yourself sooner or later. You just don't know how good you have it." He handed my necklace back and pointed to the door.

I clasped the necklace back around my neck and hurried out of his classroom.

'you just don't know how good you have it.' Mr.Scherer's words played in my head as I walked home from school. Could he be telling me the truth? No. That's what he's getting paid to do.

I arrived at my house and knocked on the door. I lost my key, so I have to depend on my mother letting me in the house everyday until I buy myself a new one.

She opened the door and greeted me with a warm hug.
"Hey sweetie. How was school?" She asked.

I sighed and slumped down on our living room sofa.
"It was okay for the most part. Until I got to Mr.Scherer's class.He called me out infront of the entire class mom! The entire class. Then he talked to me after class and tried to convince me that I had a Guardian! " I said.