[ chapter three • secrets and friendzones ]

Video Credits: ElenaSk8erGirl on YouTube

[ Summer's POV • ]
As I walked into my house, the lights were already on, which was not a good sign. I was only a half hour late, but in my mom's dictionary that meant I was three hours late.

"Summer! Where the heck have you been?" my mom yelled.

"Sorry, I had to ask Mr. Finn something about the math homework and then it started raining." I lied.

You're welcome Freddy for completely saving you right there. If I told my mom I was waiting on a boy she'd most likely rip him in shreds.

"Well why didn't you text me?" my mom asked in a loud tone.

"My phone died. It won't happen again."

"It better not or you're grounded." she scolded me.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, but she can be a pain at times. I know she's just trying to protect me, but she takes it way too far sometimes.

I plugged my phone into my charger and waited for it to turn back on. Four text messages within six hours; that was surprising.

The first message was from Asher.

Sorry, I can't give you a ride today. Soccer practice.

The next set of texts were from my mom.

There's traffic and I won't be able to pick you up for another twenty minutes.

Since you're not answering I don't know where you are, so I can't pick you up.

How the heck did she not know where I was? She doesn't know about Asher and Tomika rides her skateboard home, who else would take me home?

And the final text message was from Freddy.

Just wanted to apologize for making you wait earlier. It was really stupid of me.

My mouth formed a smile as I read the words. "You don't like Freddy anymore" was the phrase that popped into my head.

It's okay. You made it up to me(:

As I tried to press the send button, I was interrupted by a notification.

"Kale has uploaded a post for the first time in a while."

Trying to close the tab, I accidentally clicked on it. It was a picture of her and Freddy. No surprise there. The caption said "so happy we're back together."

Back together? Freddy and Kale broke up? And he didn't tell me? I immediately went back into the Messages app and deleted my text towards Freddy. He deserved to be left on read. Because he made me realize something. Something horrific.

I only got with Asher so Freddy would get jealous and break up with Kale. It sounded terrible and selfish, but it was true. That night on the beach with Asher was me thinking I was talking to Freddy.

But Freddy never came back.

I buried my face into my pillow. Why does life have to be so confusing? I wanted to rant to Tomika, but I felt kind of bad to put all this pressure on my best friend. Besides, she was most likely busy arguing with her brothers.

I clicked Asher's contact and proceeded to call him.

"Hey, can we talk?"

"Sure Sum. What is it?"

"What are we? Are we dating, are we a thing, or are we just friends?" I asked.

"Dating? That's a funny joke Hathaway. We're just friends. Why did you ask?" Asher said.

"So you don't like me?"

"Just as a friend. I have to go, I'm still at soccer. See you tomorrow."

"Bye." I answered in a saddened tone.

That was awkward. I so thought Asher was into me! He's been flirting with me every since the lock-in.

Great, so now I have no Asher or Freddy. Not that I'd want Freddy; he's a pig.

A pig with really good hair.

[ Freddy's POV • ]
Scrolling through my Instagram feed, I caught a picture on Kale's account. The caption made me shudder; "so happy we're back together."
It was all a huge mistake, I liked Summer. But now we were both taken except she liked Asher and I didn't like Kale.

Personally, Kale isn't a bad person. She's super sweet and caring. But she's not Summer. And she never will be.

I've been checking my messages every five minutes, waiting for Summer to respond. Finally, it showed that she was typing.

Left on read three minutes ago.

I sighed and threw my phone across the room. This was hopeless; she already completed friend-zoned me today.

Stupid friend-zone.

[ author's note • ]
so summer and asher aren't a thing..but is summer okay with that?

are will summer tell freddy that her and asher are just friends?

-hannah(:

773 words