[ chapter nine • mano's mistake ]

Video Credits: literata2002 on YouTube

[Tomika's POV • ]
As we stepped out of the airport, I couldn't help but admire the surroundings. Palm trees, blue skies; it was paradise. It was so different but I managed to love every part of it.

One long bus ride later, we made it to our hotel. Fortunately, only me and Summer had to share a room. On the other hand, Mr. Finn, Zack, Freddy, and Lawrence were all packed into one tiny space.

Sucks for them.

"This is going to be so fun!" Summer shrieked.

"You get so excited about everything." I told her.

"Whatever. Hurry up and unpack so we aren't late for rehearsal."

With my bass strap on me, I could only hold onto it as tight as I could as
we walked into the club. It felt so weird, we were a bunch of eighth graders performing at an area that only lets people with the age of twenty-one and over to enter. Would people judge us? Eh, who cares?

The whole place was beautiful. It was bright,
filled with lights and a cool dance floor. But that wasn't what mattered. It was all about where we were performing .

The sleek matte black tile covered the huge stage. Bright lights were hung over the satin red curtains. It was like a dream.

"So we agreed to sing A Little Too Much, right?" I asked the band.

"Yeah, a depressing Shawn Mendes song is perfect for any occasional club." Lawrence noted.

"Well do you have any other ideas in mind?"

Lawrence's face remained blank, along with his answer.

"Exactly. I scoffed, stepping onto the stage.

After about an hour of rehearsing, we began to get ready for our actual performance. You know, the one in front of the audience.

The crowd began to get bigger and bigger, and the night began to get shorter and shorter.

"Straight from Texas, please welcome School of Rock!" a voice echoed.

My heart began beating really fast. What was happening? I couldn't be scared, not right now.

Freddy started us off, and before I knew it, I was singing. I wasn't even paying attention to what I was saying, nor was I moving around much.

The crowd looked bored.

Suddenly, the huge fright I had went away. I was Tomika again. Thank God, that was super scary.

But she knew that she would be okay,
So she didn't let it get in her way

Things were going great. I looked over at the band, specifically Zack. After that, I don't know what happened. It was like everything around me stopped moving. It was just the two of us. The music quieted down. And then I realized.

I just zoned out in the middle of performing.

The whole crowd was looking at us like we were crazy. I took a step closer to the microphone, attempting to sing the next line. I could feel myself shaking and my cheeks burning red. The entire audience was staring at me. I couldn't take it.

I ran off the stage.

"Well I guess it was "A Little Too Much" for some people, am I right?" Mr. Finn joked to the audience.

Dead silent.

I ran backstage, still shaking.

"Tomika what happened out there?" Summer asked me, worried.

"I...uh..I don't know. I zoned out and then I freaked out. The band is going to hate me."

"No they're not."

"I humiliated not just me, but all of us out there." I told her, my voice sounding shaky

"You did great. You must've got stage fright or something. This is a new environment, and something to get used to. They'll understand, I know they will." Summer added.

"You're my best friend." I said, hugging her.

"You're mine too." Summer replied.

The ride back was quiet, but the conversation going through everyone else's minds must of been negative because they wouldn't stop giving me dirty looks.

We all decided to take a pit stop to McDonalds before heading back to the hotel. Mr. Finn lead us to a large booth as we all sat down. I was waiting for someone to talk. For someone to say something.

Not a word.

"Listen guys, I'm sorry. I zoned out." I blurted out.

"You ruined any chance in having a successful music career." Freddy told me.

"You made us look like idiots." Zack added.

"I'm disappointed in you." Lawrence agreed.

"Guys! Why do you have to be so rude? Sure, we're all up there doing our part, but most of those people were listening to the voice. And it was Tomika's first time performing in a huge city. It was the first time for all of us. We're going to mess up. Do you guys know how stressed out she's been? She tried her best guys. She freaked out, but we all do that. So don't take this out on her." Summer announced.

"Sorry." the three boys apologized, looking guilty.

"If I could go back up there again I would. I know the song, I just got some stage fright. I promise it won't happen again." I told the band.

They all smiled.

That was easy.

"You guys don't want to know how oddly the cashier looked at me when I asked for 60 chicken nuggets." Mr. Finn said, holding the tray of our dinner.

I let out a laugh.

"I love you guys. No matter how much we mess up or fight, somehow everyone ends up okay in the end." Mr. Finn added.

"We love you too." Zack said.

[ author's note • ]
sorry for all the people that dislike tomika-centered chapters, the next one will definitely have some huge summer plot twists!

in the next chapter, summer finally gets the guts to tell freddy how she feels. but will it be too late?

and will zack realize something?

something about tomika?

i guess you'll have to wait and see.

-hannah(;

990 words