e i g h t e e n

Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"I need you to do me a favor." Elena says through the phone. Her voice urgent and in need of help.

"Oh so this is how we're making money now? Babysitting?" I asks, chuckling just at the thought of me - the mature child - babysitting.

"Emilia," She sighs, annoyed. "How about you just come."

"Okay okay. Gee."

I click my tongue, "You know, when you asked me if I could babysit, I thought I was babysitting a baby." I narrow my eyes at Alaric, "Not him."

Elena sighs, "Just watch over him. I'm going to go pick up something from his old loft and I'll be back."

Before I could utter a reply, Elena walks out the door and slams it shut. I let out a huff and turn to Alaric, "So, I'm babysitting my own guardian. Isn't supposed to be the other way around?"

"Look, Emilia, I'm just going through a rough time now. So I need you to watch over me incase I do something stupid." Alaric says, "And if I do something stupid, use everything in your will to stop me."

I nod and take a seat across from him at the dining table. "So, you're the one causing all these murders?" I ask softly, my eyes roaming his face.

"Yeah." He replies, sighing.

"You don't peg me for a murderer." I comment, "You just look too nice."

Alaric chuckles, "Thanks. I guess."

"It's not a complement."

"Yeah, okay." He says, clearing his throat.

"So you think it's the ring that's causing all this?" I ask, perching my chin on my palm.

"Yes." He answers, "The ring is a cheat to death. It's changing me for all the times I died."

"Should we blame Damon for that?" I ask, tilting my head. "I mean, he's the one breaking your neck whenever he just feels like it."

Alaric laughs, "Maybe."

"Alright -" Meredith sighs, coming in but stopping when she spots me. "Oh. Emilia. Hey."

"Oh, it's you." I mutter, "Psychotic vampire doctor."

"I prefer to go bye Meredith Fell actually." She replies.