Today's The Day-Laurmani

Lauren's standing in front of the school building, staring at the front doors as a crowd of students rush by her, with exactly one goal in mind. 

She's been putting this off for weeks. She hates herself for it, honestly - she really wishes she could just have the courage to actually tell Normani just how she felt. It was eating her up, a confession that she desperately needed to make. And today she was going to come clean. It would feel so good to just tell her, to just let it all out. She was going to march up those stairs and tell Normani exactly how she felt - 

"Hey, Lo!"

Or, not. 

 "Uh," Lauren says awkwardly, "Hi, Mani."

Normani comes up to Lauren and slings her arm lazily around Lauren's shoulders. Lauren can't stay silent any longer. The words are building up in her throat and she's prepared to say them. She is, honestly. She's just not sure how Normani will react. "How are you?" Normani asks her and Lauren knows that's a perfect oppurtunity to tell her. 

But Lauren's not that smooth. "Uh, I'm good. I'm good. How are you."

Normani stops them in front of their lockers and turns towards Lauren, a serious look in her eyes. "Are you okay?" she asks. Lauren's caught in Normani's eyes for a second. They're beautiful, really, and they shine even when Normani's sad, always showing Lauren a whole new world that she never knew existed. Then she realizes Normani's just asked her a question and normal people actually reply. 

"Yeah," Lauren says, nodding vigorously. "I - I just, I have to tell you-"

The bell rings and Normani gives a couple curses. "I'm sorry, I've got to run, I have a huge test, I can't miss it," Normani apologizes her, and a part of Lauren is relieved, because it was going worse than Lauren imagined. "We can talk at lunch?"

"Okay," Lauren agrees, nodding, and then Normani's gone with a quick smile and a wave. Lauren opens her locker with a long sigh and refrains for hitting her head against the door. 

She heard once that if you have a crush on someone for more than four months, it's love. Lauren's been crushing on Normani for as long as she remembers. She can't picture having it any other way. 

What Normani tells her at lunch will decide her future, it really will. Lauren's just not sure if she can handle that. 

*******

Turns out, Lauren's not. As soon as Normani sits them both down at lunch Lauren's brain turns into incoherent thoughts. She can't possibly work out how to tell Normani. But she has to tell her something, because Normani's concerned already. "So, tell me what's up," Normani says. 

Lauren can't think. She doesn't know. Should she just say it outright? Should she allude to it? No, who is she kidding, she can't do that. She's not clever enough and definitely not that brave. "I," Lauren begins, and suddenly an idea is thrown into her head - one that could fail miserably - and she says, "I've got a blind date."

Normani blinks a couple of times before smiling. "Wow! That's great. Did he talk to you online, or did a friend set you two up...?"

"Actually, it's a she," Lauren says, and then gives Normani a hopeful look. If Normani's not okay with the fact that Lauren likes girls, well...then the entire plan goes out the window. 

But Normani barely reacts. "My bad," she says. "So. How did you first talk to her?"

"Well," Lauren says, "You could say a friend set us up and...well, I would, uh, like your help in planning the date."

Normani's eyes light up and so does Lauren's heart. She's glad she could make Normani smile that way. "I would love to," Normani says. "When is it?"