Unlike You-Caminah

(Camila’s POV)

Lately things have been hectic. We are blowing up everywhere, interview after interview. Don’t get me wrong, I love it. This is my dream. It is awkward, sometimes. Especially with Lauren and I on a non-speaking term… life on the road gets very uncomfortable. The only person who keeps me somewhat sane is Dinah. My best friend. I don’t know how I would be able to pull through without her. She always knows how to make me smile.

I soon snapped out of my own thoughts when I could hear a familiar soft voice coming from the front of the bunk bed aisle on the bus.

“Mila…? Are you in here?” I hear Dinah ask as she walks into the section of the bus where our beds are located.

“Yeah, I’m in my bunk.” I reply as I hear her make her way over to my bunk. She peeks her head through the curtain of my bunk.

“How did I know you would be in here?” She says sarcastically as I chuckle to myself.

“Maybe because I always come back to my bunk after a long day… or maybe because you just know me too well” I say while shyly smirking at her.

She folds her arms and rests them on the edge of my bunk. She sighs softly to herself as she slowly makes eye contact with me once more.

“Hey… are you okay?” I say giving her a concerned look

“Just the usual. Homesick.” She says as she sends me a half hearted smile.

I scoot over in my bunk and pat the empty space next to me. instinctively, she hops into the empty space next to me and moves into me. I wrap myself into her and listen to hear her heartbeat pick up.

“I know it isn’t much, but you have me.” I whisper into her chest.

“You feel like home, Mila.” I hear her respond softly.

I began to think again to myself again. This is how it started with Lauren. I felt an ache in the pit of my stomach because I knew that I absolutely could not risk losing Dinah. Ever since the fall out with Lauren, Dinah became all I have. I will not let what happened between Lauren and I, happen with Dinah and I.

—————

“Camz… what movie do you want to watch?”  I hear Lauren ask softly into my ear. I snuggle up closer to her.

“Anything you want.” I reply shortly after.

“Hmmm, well we have many choices here, Camz. We have…” She stops her sentence as she reaches her arm over my chest to grab as many movies as she can from the stack I keep on the side of my bed against the wall.

“We have…” She continues while looking through the stack she grabbed with her free hand.

“THIS ONE!” I immediately say as I see the movie that I want to watch.

She scowls at the choice I made.

“One Direction, ‘This Is Us’…” She stops as she reads the title.

“Really, Camz?” She says while scowling at the DVD case.

“Yes! I know you haven’t seen it yet, but you will love it. I promise!” I say innocently as she turns her head down to look at me. I flash her a sweet smile and she giggles softly to herself.

“Alright, fine.” She says while shaking her head softly.

I unravel myself from Lauren so she could put the DVD in. She was interrupted when her phone unexpectedly started vibrating next to her.

She looked over to check the caller I.D and immediately looked over at me.

“It’s Luis.” She said quietly without making eye contact with me.

I exhaled a breath as she hopped out of the bunk to go answer the phone call.

I waited patiently for her to come back, knowing that we wouldn’t have long together before our crew and the rest of the group gathered back on the bus from the restaurant they were at.  

After what seemed like hours, Lauren returned back into the bunk area of the bus. I jumped out of my bunk to greet her before she climbed back into my bunk.

“They’re going to be back soon. It’s no use to come back into my bunk.” I say slightly disappointed while crossing my arms over my chest.

She remained silent. I felt myself start to get angry at the fact that she wasn’t even slightly sympathetic to the fact that she blew me off for Luis.

“Luis isn’t even your boyfriend, Lauren! He is a dumb idea to help cover up what you started with me!” I raise my voice at her, feeling pent up anger just completely release from my own body. I look at her unreadable face and feel the urge to slam her up against the wall.

She still remained silent.

This wasn’t the first time she left me for Luis. I knew that Luis was more than a ‘good friend just trying to help her cover up from the rumors’. It was obvious. It hurt too much to think about… or even question her about, but somehow, I got the courage to say something.

“Well? Are you going to say anything?! Are you going to tell me that it was all in my head? Everything you felt for me was just in my head?” I say almost choking on my own words. I feel my eyes water up with tears of regret. Regret of asking her that, knowing exactly what she’ll say.

She lifted her chin up and looked at me. Her green eyes pierced through mine, I felt myself become insecure.

“Yes.” She said quietly, but forcefully.

This time I actually choked on my own words, feeling the tears start to stream down my face.

I didn’t have to ask her what she was saying yes to. I already knew. I turned my back on her, too insecure to let her see me cry. I quickly got myself back into my bunk and closed the curtain.

I heard her get closer to my bunk. She stopped walking, but then the sound of the pads of her feet started to fade away as she continued walking past my bunk to her own.

That was the last time we spoke to each other. Other than when we had to for interviews or concerts, we avoided each other at all costs.

—————

“What are you thinking about?” I heard Dinah say to me as she ran her finger tips across my back softly.

I let out a soft breath before replying to her question.

“I was thinking about…” I became shy and debated quickly with myself if I should finish the question.

“I was thinking about how you are all I have in this world right now.” I continue

I wasn’t looking at her face, but I could feel her smile. My chest warmed up at the thought of her smiling because of me.

“It’s you and me, Mila. It always will be.” She said quietly, as if people could hear her if she spoke and louder.

She wrapped me into her even more, and I realized that Dinah won’t hurt me. She won’t leave me. Her words are sincere.

I felt myself starting to really actually trust someone other than my family.

She’s what I need.