Drum Major Jauregui-Laurmani

A/N: THANK CHU FOR 1K READS

Warning:its smut yo

------------------------------------------------------

To the average high school student, marching around on a hot football field on a Saturday morning was the last place they would want to be. However to a select few above-average students, it was one of the few things they looked forward to in their busy lives. The opportunity to prove themselves weighed on the students as they gathered to the field that morning.
For the Palmetto High School Marching Mustang Band, this particularly sweltering morning was not just another day to perfect their 8-minute show: it was a rehearsal in preparation for their first competition of the new season with having just recently become an AAA band, and it was taking place that night. An influx of gawky freshman had lent in raising the numbers in the award-winning marching band program, but they were not guaranteed to maintain their decorated reputation. They were competing against 6 other AAA bands from schools all around the state and if those painfully awkward freshman forgot one of their drill sets, the Marching Mustangs were doomed. 
The band had been on the field since 8 in the morning, the temperature had slowly climbed into the 90s as they approached noon. The band director didn't desire to overwork his students but there were hundreds of things that needed to be cleaned before they left for competition. Despite the ensemble's increasingly obvious fatigue, there was one person who kept the band's morale high: their drum major, Lauren Jauregui. Lauren was the true poster-child of the entire band program. The 17 year old senior made All-State almost every year in french horn, consistently got straight As, and played fastpitch softball during offseason. Lauren was able to balance her academic, athletic, and social life as an IB student and consequently drew quite a bit of envy from her peers. Having been on the Marching Mustang's leadership team since her sophomore year, everyone in the band had come to adore her for her determination, enthusiasm, decisiveness, and her looks. Although it she found it a bit unnerving that all of the freshman stared at her with childish adoration as she stood atop the drum major podium, their attention allowed her to concentrate their focus, which came in handy on days like this one. 
"Reset and then go to standby!" Lauren yelled. The ensemble moseyed slowly back into their previous drill spots, talking and giggling with each other. 
"Hustle!" Lauren commanded, watching the band bustle quickly back to their positions. Lauren adjusted her gloves as she stared at the ensemble as they obeyed her directions, tapping her foot against her score binder on the high podium. 
"Okay, Mustangs," the band director said enthusiastically into his headset sitting in the press box,"I want you to break up into sectionals and rehearse the third movement." 
A hand shot up on the field. When Lauren saw who raised their hand she tried to hold in her scoff of annoyance. 
"Yes, Normani." The band director said, knowing already who the member was without squinting his eyes. 
"Where do you want us to stop?" The alto-saxophone player asked loudly.
"Stop at C." The band director replied. "And I want Lauren to go to the saxes and mellos to teach them a new articulation in the phrase."
Lauren saw Normani's eyes roll underneath the brim of her pristine Dri-Fit hat. She sighed as she brought her eyes to her feet, reaching down to grab at her score binder while the section leaders quickly turned towards their section to overview the music. 
"Okay, here we go." Lauren said softly to herself, hopping down off of the podium. She could already feel Normani's menacing gaze all the way from the fifty yard-line. Lauren slowly walked over the sectio, mind thinking back to the last real interaction her and Normani had had that didn't result in a catty argument.

---
"Fancy seeing you here, Kordei." Lauren said, popping into her bandmates' view. The dark girl scoffed as she topped off her plastic cup with punch, grinning at Lauren's greeting.
"What do you mean by that?" Normani asked, taking a swig from her cup.
"You never really see us band kids at jock parties." Lauren admitted, reaching for a cup next to Normani. "Let alone IB kids."
"Marchers can be considered athletes too, you know." Normani said confidently. "And just because we have more classes doesn't mean we can't have a social life." 
"You're right." Lauren said lightly with a smile. The pair got silent as they watched the boisterous softball players dance and joke around with each other.
"And since you're obviously wondering, Ally invited me." Normani added matter of factly. 
"Ally?" Lauren asked, moving to fill her cup, "As in shortstop, Ally?"
"Yes, shortstop Ally." Normani replied, rolling her eyes. "What? You think I'm not good enough for your little softball friends?"
"Too good, actually." Lauren took a sip from her cup and tapped on the kitchen counter, "These girls are loud, sweaty, and unnecessarily raunchy."
"Well to be fair," Normani started, "The sax section is just like that."
"True." Lauren said with a genuine laugh. "I'm just so used to seeing you speed off after rehearsal to finish a paper or something...not here at a party." 
"I can party." Normani said defensively, "I just work hard first...and mostly, I just run out of time to play hard because I have so much fucking work."
"Wow, cuss words too?" Lauren asked shockingly, "You're a different person, I swear!"
"Oh, shut up." Normani scoffed, taking another sip of punch, "So how's your summer been? Are you ready for junior year?"
"I hope I am." Lauren wished, "I got all my summer work done just in time for band camp."
"That's next week, right?"
"Yes!" Lauren cried out, "You should know that, Miss Saxophone Section Leader."
"I should, I should." Normani said with a smile, tucking a few of her twists behind her ear, "I've been doing work all summer, give me a break."
"Well tonight isn't a night to work, Kordei." Lauren said, taking Normani's free hand, "It's a night to have fun!"
Normani rolled her tongue in her cheek, "I wasn't standing on the wall, Lauren, I was just thirsty." They both giggled. "I swear you think I'm some poor, shy caterpillar that needs to transform into a social butterfly. I've been in this form, you just haven't had the privilege of seeing that part of me!"
"Alright, Kordei, you've been doing too much critical analysis, you're starting to sound like Sparknotes."
"Mani!Lauren! You guys wanna play truth or dare?" Lauren and Normani turned their heads to the direction of the voice, seeing the smallest softball player on the team, Ally, who stood in the center of her living room with a cheerful smile.
"Hell yeah!" Lauren said, leading Normani by the hand out of the kitchen. 
"Since you two were moseying around over there on the wall, you go first." 
"I was just thirsty, Ally." Normani repeated, joining the circle of softball players with Lauren.
"Then you go first, Lauren." Ally said, sitting down in the circle, "Truth or dare?" Lauren groaned as she sat in between her teammate and Normani, sighing and thinking of an answer.
"Hm...how about..." She trailed off and bit her lip, "Dare."
"Kiss the person on your left." Ally spat out. Lauren's jaw slacked as she glanced to her left, meeting eyes with an obviously flustered Normani. 
Lauren brought her eyes back to Ally as she chuckled nervously, running her fingers through her hair. 
"T-that's so funny b-because I-I was just telling Mani h-how unnecessarily sexual you all are." Lauren stuttered, looking at the carpet.
"Well, I mean, she's not asking for you guys to do the do, or anything." The team's catcher added with a childish snicker.
"Yeah, it's not that big of a deal."
"It doesn't even have to be long."
"It cou-"
"Why don't we let the contestants talk it out?" Ally requested over the growing chatter between the athletes. 
"You guys just get right to it around here, huh?" Lauren said as she slowly turned to Normani, who still had her eyes glued to the carpet. Lauren's eyes went from her neat twists, then wandered down to her full lips. The chatter of the onlookers quickly calmed down, leaving the entire room with a deafening silence. Sweat beaded on Lauren's palms as she scooted closer to Normani, who still hadn't looked up. 
Mani had been Lauren's pretty good friend and hardworking classmate for a while until recently. Over the past marching season, she had quickly became Lauren's secret crush. Lauren had always admired her unwavering work ethic in classroom but on the turf, Lauren caught herself countless times admiring Normani's smooth, dark, toned body and her voluptuous curves. Then Lauren would see Normani in the lab, typing away busily on her laptop, giggling and then looking around, frantically hoping no one heard her. Or she would see Normani helping a shy freshman with their dotbook during a lunch break at band camp, and one day it suddenly hit the Latina that she was hopelessly captivated by her bandmate. But Lauren kept things under wraps because she knew Normani was focused on thousands and thousands of other things and a band relationship would likely not be in the cards for either of them.