Short is okay-Dinally

Ally dragged her pen across the small post it note, the red ink covering up the second to last item on her list. Today was grocery day, which had been established when Ally opened her refrigerator that morning and found nothing but stale lunch meat and a half carton of milk. After lecturing her roommates for not restocking the apartment while they were out, Ally grabbed the keys to her VW Beetle Convertible and took matters into her own hands.

Two hours later, her cart was full of healthily good food items, and even a few sugar heightening treats for her roommate, Camila, who had a bit of a sweet tooth. The assortment of salad ingredients and Hostess cupcakes littered Ally's cart, but the last request made Ally grimace.

As Ally was walking out the door of her and Camila's shared apartment, her friend beckoned for Captain Crunch. Vivid flashbacks of the smug cartoon character's box sitting high upon the cereal aisle shelf sped through Ally's mind, and she wearily obliged, not wanting to show her weakness. At the infantile height of four feet eleven inches, Ally often found herself perched up on the tips of her toes.

Exhaling, Ally decided that she needed to just get it over with. Ally pushed the cart toward aisle sixteen of the grocery store, where several cereal boxes lined the shelves perfectly.

There the section stood, menacing and mocking in its unsuspecting glory. Ally squinted her eyes together at the aisle, like she was preparing to get into a brawl with the elated mascot characters on the cereal boxes. She made eye contact with the Captain Crunch box, and pushed her body weight up from the tips of her toes, preparing to defeat her flaws once and for all.

Ally prepped herself, standing in front of the aisle as she exhaled and went for it. Stretching her calves, Ally squished her toes against the tops of her flip flops, trying her hardest to reach the cereal box. The first attempt was unsuccessful, so Ally tried jumping up. When Ally's feet left the ground, she smacked her arm forward like she was playing volleyball. Instead of grabbing the cereal box, her hand tapped it lightly, and suddenly, the boxes started tumbling down.

Shrieking, Ally shielded herself with her bony arms, a few cereal boxes slapping down on her arm. The boxes crashed to the floor, scattering around her on the tiled floor. They fell with a solid crack, and in the aftermath, someone near Ally laughed.

"Need some help there, short stack?" A girl asked, giggles disrupting her question.

Ally let her arms fall to her sides, and she opened her eyes to meet them with a pair of gorgeous coffee colored irises. Ally closed her mouth to refrain from gasping, because the stranger standing in front of her was absolutely breath taking. Genuine concern expressed across her face, her perfectly shaped eyebrows furrowed into each other.

"That would be kind, thank you," Ally muttered, bending down to pick up the boxes, and the stranger joined her. When she had her head down, Ally peaked at the girl's legs, which were surprisingly long and muscular. Ally cleared her throat, a bit jittery, "If you were here a few seconds earlier, I could have asked you to reach the box for me to avoid this catastrophe."

The girl let out another hearty laugh, standing up and stacking the boxes back on the shelf neatly. Ally admired her height, which was almost an entire foot taller than herself, and silently wished she were that tall.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but watching you get pelted by boxes of Captain Crunch was probably the highlight of my week," The girl admitted, handing the last box to Ally, "I'm Dinah, by the way."

"Ally," Ally introduced herself, taking the box from Dinah sheepishly.

Dinah smirked, her eyes sparkling shockingly bright in the awful fluorescent lights of the supermarket, "Your name is almost as cute as you are," She flirted, giving Ally a once over, and subsequently setting Ally's body into flames.

"Thanks," Ally accepted, feeling her cheeks redden, "You're really pretty yourself," Ally complimented, baring her teeth to Dinah, "I would love to stay and talk to you, but I have ice cream in my cart, and if I don't get home to my roommate, she's going to be placing an ad in the paper for a new one," Ally joked, "So is it okay if I give you my number?"

"More than okay," Dinah replied, switching phones with Ally. They exchanged numbers, and bid their farewells.

As Ally went through the self checkout line, she found a new found appreciation for her tiny frame, because it meant she got to meet absolutely adorable taller girls, and she was totally okay with that.