seventeen

○°˙˙°○

s e v e n t e e n

"M... Mr. Zagaya," Sian greeted her boss while pressing her bare wrist against her chest. "I... I didn't expect you to be here..."

"I'm with my sister," he nudged one of his hand that held his phone in the direction of Era, "I didn't expect you to be here, too."

She could see how his eyes went from hee face down to her hands that were shaking from how she clutched the collar of her long-sleeved polo. She avoided his gaze and almost pressed herself against that stall.

"Are you okay?" Duke started to step forward to her direction and she wanted to burst into a run, "Are you hurt?"

"No, silly," Era butted in and approached her brother waving the palette in front of his face. He struggled against his sister and Sian took it as the cue to escape.

Sliding herself near the stall, she had quick steps before half-running to the nearby counter. She could hear him shout her name but Era was adamant about the palette she found; Duke had no escape from her until he agrees to buy it.

Her hands were shaking when she handed the cashier the bills. The lady on the counter were glancing from her down to the foundation she's putting in a bag. She knew the lady noticed how pale she was and it wasn't fading soon.

There were too much happening in her mind right now: the memory of her and Duke in the same bed, her hands raised as he owned her, to be specific. That was the only thing Duke had, the memory of that night that would lead him back to her.

That would lead him back to the Madelein she was looking for.

She was already outside, the plastic bag with the foundation inside on one hand and the phone pressed against her ear. Her paleness was gone but her insides were still shaking. Not because Duke almost saw her tattoo but what she was hearing right now.

"I hope you kept our promise and didn't break it," Chelsea muttered on the other line.

"Yes, Chels," she answered as she hopped inside the bus. Luckily, there was an empty seat near the entrance and she was able to sit, resting the bag on her lap, "Thank you for the opportunity, by the way."

She heard her soft chuckle from the other line. "That's nothing. I also wanted to help Tyler out."

Chelsea was a friend of hers back in Colton, to be specific, in her last days in the university. She was the one who helped her land the job under the Zagayas and Sian was thankful for this opportunity. She was able to save bits and small amounts of money for her son's future.

Although, this comes with a cost. It will benefit Chelsea but for herself? Sian was not sure. All she knew was that Chelsea had something that she could use against Sian. No, not only Sian but Duke's reputation also.

Sian sighed against her phone as she chewed her bottom lip. "When will you come home?" she tried to sound enthusiastic but there was no evident smile on her face.

Chelsea was oblivious about it. She was cheerful as ever when she answered, "I'm still finishing my papers. I think I will arrive there two weeks from now..."

Two weeks to prepare herself, Sian noted in her mind before bidding goodbye to her friend. She glanced out at the window and wanted to smash her head on it so hard that she would forget everything about it.