twenty-nine

The chapel stood there in its glory, withstanding the test of time, welcoming the guest pouring inside of its grey, bricked walls. The windows create a number of colors against the seats and the floor. Mostly of the primary and secondary colors with thick black outlines of holy scenes and figures. The middle aisle leading to the altar was adorned with flowers and the red carpet making its way through the middle.

There was silent buzz among the guest that echoes against the walls of the chapel as if it was the secrets would remain inside. At the further end of the aisle, stood Duke and his best man, Zero, in their most magnificent suits but their faces were as of for a funeral rather than a wedding.

"I'm nervous," the groom jumped in his position, shaking his quivering hand and breathed heavily. It didn't calm his nerves down. Zero's hand was on his back, rubbing it up and down, greeting the guests for him.

"It'll go as planned," his friend muttered in his ear before slightly nodding to the guests who were still arriving ten minutes before the official start of the ceremony.

Someone coughed and both of their heads shot upwards towards Henry, Lina clinging to his arms and Era behind. The females were smiling at the groom while his father remained stoic as ever. Duke stepped forward, head hung low.

"I know I have failed you," he whispered, careful not to let the other guests hear, "But I promise, I'm going to fix this... I'm sorry..."

Then he felt his father's arms wrap around his shoulder, pulling him into his chest. Duke almost busted into tears but he held it back, instead, he wrapped his arms around his father's back and tightened the hug. He felt him pat his back...

"Son, I'm here... I trust you. We trust you," Henry continued to pat his back before pulling away, eyes trained to Zero, "He told us everything."

Duke turned his head to his friend who was smiling sheepishly at him. He let out a loose grin before facing his father once more. "I think I'll do the most insane thing I never imagined myself to do..."

His father just laughed, leading Lina and Era inside the chapel not before having the chance for Duke to hug his family. They were the ones that gave him strength. And that was the thing that he badly needed today.

The strength to pull the stunt he was about to execute today.

Rubbing his hands against each other, he and Zero lined up at the other end of the aisle. His eyes wandered on both sides of the seats. The guests are already looking at him in anticipation. Before stepping forward, Zero turned to him with an assuring smile that he wished helped to calm his nerves.

His best man then started to approach the front of the altar in long strides. He could feel his smile even though he was left behind by the entrance. It's now or never.

Duke straightened his stance, fixed his suit, and followed Zero suit. His strides were rather slow, letting everything sink in. He didn't mind the eyes bearing into his soul as if his steps echoes the ringing bells in their ears. His eyes searched for the girl in the teal dress with the blue-green hair.

He found her and his eyes never left hers as he passes by the aisle of seat that she was in. Beside her was a little boy with the almond-shaped eyes, looking at him with curiosity in it. Duke swore to himself that Tyler looked too familiar, like as if viewing himself in a picture.

He gulped down the knot in the back of his throat as he nodded to her as she smiles back at him. It was of a sad one. They might have reached in a conclusion earlier, he knew that she doesn't have an idea of what will happen later on.

He continued his way at the altar, making his way to his position behind Zero. The blonde man has never faded his smile as he quirked his face giving a thumbs up at Titus' direction, at the other end of the altar, holding his camera and taking pictures. Duke just shook his head.