twenty-seven

For the first time in weeks, the sky was clear and Duke could see the stars arranged in the sky. He raised the champagne glass he was holding and drank a small amount of the yellow liquid inside. The night was still young but he felt his body craving for the sheets of his bed already, but he couldn't.

He turned his head towards the frame tent behind him. It stood there, withstanding the chill of the winter's night. The guests were almost similar in terms of their clothing. Almost all of them wore black, white with silver, mostly their fur jackets or scarves are grey. Duke could see Chelsea socializing with the visitors, with that smile on her face.

It started to irritate him, not just Chelsea, but the whole scene. They were here for nothing. He wasn't happy and yet all they do is congratulate him for the sudden wedding. They even commented on how long they have waited for this moment.

He's still waiting, though.

His matching black suit wasn't sewn for the weather but he didn't mind. The light snow that were still falling from the line of the pine tree's leaves located just across the tent. His glass was cold and it kept the temperature of the champagne inside.

Duke controlled himself that he would drink just a glass. He doesn't want to create chaos at such a night, especially when half of the expenses are shouldered by him.

He didn't mind, really. He was all for it because in the end, he hopes that all of these will be worth it. He tried to assure himself but there's still dread inside his heart. He gulped it down with the last bit of champagne in his glass.

Stomps of feet were heard behind him. He knew someone was approaching him but he pretended not to hear their steps getting louder. It stopped and Duke knew that the person was already beside him. He continued to stare upwards, towards the night sky, hoping that the newcomer would just walk away when they found out that he wasn't interested in a conversation.

"I thought you ditched the party," Duke turned his head towards the man with a very familiar voice, "Why are you out here?"

"Same question to you," he smirked, sliding his thumb on the champagne glass, "Isn't it obvious that I'm not interested in any of these?"

This was new to him. He doesn't usually open up to Zero but he has nowhere to go now. Titus wasn't here, he had other plans for the day. If only Duke knew, something was up with that friend of theirs in the past few days.

Usually, Titus would be standing by his side, complaining about the weather, wishing that he should've brought a thicker jacket with him. He shifted his weight to one of his legs as he turned to Zero, who was weirdly serious in this moment, staring at the horizon.

"Why would you be interested in such, right?" Zero muttered under his breath, a set of smoke coming out from his lips, "Were you more interested in hurting someone?"

This time, Duke completely turned to Zero. "I didn't mean it," he breathed, "I swear to God if you only knew how much regret I had afterwards... I swear..."

His friend din't answer for a while but Duke didn't shy away from him. He stared at the blonde guy who was chewing his lower lip in the process. He was waiting for what he would say. He would accept it even if it would sting his system. Duke knew how protective Zero could become, especially when he loves them.

"Zero, I swear..." but he was cut off.

"I try to understand, Duke," Zero started, "I tried. But I know that I am inexperienced in this field." There was silence afterwards. Duke wanted to reach out to his friend who stared at him with a glint of an unexplained emotion in his eyes. "Maybe, just maybe, I would have done the same, too."