twenty-one

Duke gripped the stirring wheel of his car as they halted to a stop on a red light. Titus was on the passenger's seat, silent, plainly looking out the window and watching the buildings pass by on their way to Colton. Both of them were silent but one would not miss the tension rising inside the car. Titus thought it was kind of suffocating for him, at the least.

He could see the confusion in Duke's eyes when he read the text that he received from Sian earlier. Even he was fairly confused. She? He thought that Sian would have a little courage to admit what she has to say but it turned another three-sixty and here they are: parking in front of the familiar gate that both of them could recognize so well.

Duke was first to get out of the car, followed by Titus. The first one seems to be in a hurry, having long, fast strides over to the food block that the university has. The latter had a hard time to catch up and was grumbling for he couldn't appreciate the scenery around him.

The university is still filled with students bustling about the streets and alleys. One could hear the bustling and rush of several students as they step on the fallen leaves and their clothes bustling about. The chatters were quite loud, too, that one could hear different stories coming from different corners. The students notably were wearing thick clothing, some are layers, some with jackets and scarves.

It was a mistake to take in such environment when all Duke could remember was the first time he and Madelein met. It was almost the same season as this, however, he didn't think that it will be like this that they would meet. Everything was like a roller coaster ride for him and he prays that it will be over soon. He had a hutch that it will, not just in a way he imagined it to be.

He turned into a familiar corner, his strides coming slower as he approached the gray stone bricked wall of the cafe. The huge window was still there and he could glance inside, his memories flashing back to him as his eyes darted to Sian who was quietly sitting on one booth inside the cafe.

He shouldn't assume that Sian was Madelein but, somehow, he couldn't help himself. Not that he imagined her to be the damsel he was looking for, but he had also rushed the memory of them at top of that hill, over looking the city and their lips meeting. He wonders why he did such a thing but there were no sign of guilt or remorse when he did that.

Actually, he misses the feeling of her lips on his. Hers was soft and pinkish that he couldn't help himself that time. May it be a blank urge or that something else was pulling him to her. Something that he couldn't put a finger on it that would only be enlightened if his and Titus' guess was right.

The memories flashing were ruined when his eyes left Sian and onto the girl sitting beside her who seemed so confident with herself. He noticed that Sian was sitting quietly on the side, her hands resting on her lap with her head down, while the other woman was sipping her coffee staring blankly at the cake that was on the table.

"This could be a mess," Titus whispered behind him and all he could do was nod, "I'm sorry for giving you such false hopes. It was my gut feeling and..."

He raised his hand and Titus didn't continue what he had to say.  He let his hand fell down on his side once more feeling all the energy draining from every inch of his body. "Why was I so convinced that she is Madelein?"

"Maybe because you had feelings for her?" he felt Titus approach him and his hand landed on his shoulder, radiating the comfort from his friend. "You may never know. You might be blinded by this search that you might have missed that vague feeling you were starting to feel."

Titus was right. What if he was really falling for Sian from the start? Pushing Madelein aside, he was comfortable around her. Her smile was everything that Duke needed every day to assure himself that everything was going to be okay. He wanted to know her better. He even admitted that he liked her... so what's holding him back?