E L E V E N

Emma couldn't believe what she was hearing.

  "The president had waived posse comitatus, and we have orders to proceed with the assault as planned," the man began. "Our assault teams are to move out to the helicopters and stand by."

   She didn't know if she was confused and hearing things, or if they were actually doing what she thought.

  "Cut the power to the campus and jam everything - radio, TV, microwave - everything, I want an absolute and total blackout."

   Mr. Parker walked over with a cup of coffee in his hand and stood next to Emma. "What's going on?"

  "Yesterday, your boy Billy Tepper suddenly appeared on our side of the wire, How'd he do that?"

   Emma walked up to the army man who had asked the question. "There's an old storm drain on the east edge of the campus right there," she took a pencil and circled the spot on the map. "We use it to sneak out of campus- I mean- no yea, we use it to sneak out of campus." Looking sheepishly back at Mr. Parker she placed the pencil down.

  "What's happening?" He asked once more. Frankly, Emma would like to know as well.

  "...show our explosives expert how to get through the drain?"
  "Of course, what's happening?"
  "Enrique Cali was just murdered in prison."
  "When Luis Cali finds out about his fathers death, he'll kill hostages. He could very well blow up the school. We've got no choice. We have to go in."

   Emma didn't know whether to jump for joy that this would all be over in some few odd hours, or feel utterly petrified that more of her friends and other boys could die.

  "Casualties could be high unless your boy does what he says he can do."

  "He can," Emma's voice was strong yet hoarse. "Because that's what he said he would."

  "Okay we'll make sure to send the signal so the boys can see it."

   Emma's hands shook slightly. She had to believe it would work - she did believe it would work. Because she couldn't afford for it not to.

   She would see her friends again. She would see her friends again.

   She went back to her tent to sleep before tomorrow's events. Emma was nervous and excited and terrified. As she settled into her sleeping bag she found herself exhausted. She had not gotten a good nights sleep since she left for Regis. Her body and mind were tired and it showed on her face.

   That night Emma slept like a baby, knowing that soon Luis would be caught, or dead, and life could go back to semi normal. Just with one less person.

   The next morning Emma woke up bright and early and found herself surrounded by people about to go to the school.

   She stood next to the man in charge, still not bothered to find out his name, and listened to him talk to Luis on the phone.

  "There seems to be a black out that's affecting the whole county," he was saying. "They're working on it."

   Emma could hear what Luis was saying. Her heart fell into her stomach.

  "They have exactly one hour to fix it. If not, I'll kill one hostage every 15 minutes until it's back on."

   The man hung up the phone. Emma didn't say a word.

   Mr. Parker walked in a few moments later, a stony expression on his face.
"Emma," he began, motioning her to come over. "I have to go with the men to show them where the storm drain is. You stay here."

  "Sir, I-"
  "Your father has trusted me with you to keep you safe. You don't go near that school, do you hear me? You stay here, help where you can but you don't leave base. Understood."

   Emma took a deep breathe and put her hands behind her back, crossing her pointer and middle fingers.

  "Understood."

   She watched as Mr. Parker nodded his head and squeezed her shoulder gently, then walked away. She waited until he was out of sight. She waited until it seemed like nobody would notice if a stubborn brown haired girl with a knack for trying to save her friends even though she had no idea how was gone, and she took off running in the direction of the men, making sure she was hidden behind the trees.

  She had to see this played out. Even if it would result in Mr. Parker being mad.

   Welp, here we go.