•cinco•

"Teddy you can't scare me anymore!" Scorpius called into the room before slowly stepping in and flipping the light switch.

Contrary to prior belief, his brother was lounged on the chair in Harry's office with his thinking face on.

"Hey, Scor, have you-"

"Nope," the young ravenclaw said while shaking his head. "I know that face. That's the face that got me grounded for 2 weeks just before term started."

"It's not an idea this time!" defended Teddy. "Just- You've noticed that our 'parental figures'," he said using air quotes. "They're- well, they're acting weird."

Scorpius shrugged as he walked over to his Dad's bookshelf and began rummaging through his collection of defense books.

"They always act weird," Scorpius said nonchalantly. "They're parents, I think it's a part of their job or something."

"No, it's a different weird, Teddy insisited. "It's like- I don't know, like they're not telling us something..."

"What wouldn't they be telling us?"

"I mean, Pops has been sick right? What if it's something serious! He never passes up an opportunity to pass up dueling especially not against Dad, but he sat out every single duel for the last 2 days!"

"Maybe he's learning to be more cautious and not run head first into danger."

Teddy snorted at that.

"You sound like Dad. And besides, I don't think Pops even knows how to avoid danger. It's against his genetics or something."

"Yeah," laughed Scorpius before imitating his father. "Bloody Potter, always running head first into danger. Couldn't get him to look the other way if you pushed him in that direction!"

"That was really good! You gotta do that in front of the fifth years, they're going to freak."

"Who's going to freak?" Harry said as he walked into the room and dropped his bag beside his desk after ruffling both boys' hair.He turned around and raised his eyebrows when neither of them responded.

"Er- the fifth years," Scorpius responded and Harry narrowed his eyes at his other son.

"What're you planning, Ted?"

"What?! I'm not- Scorp! Tell him I'm not planning anything."

"How would I know what you're thinking?" Scorpius said hiding a smirk behind the book he had plucked from the shelf, Defending Yourself From Yourself. Teddy kicked at the younger boy's legs until his feet thudded from the floor with finality. The blonde turned to him and narrowed his eyes as well before talking.

"Scor-" Teddy said trying to redeem himself.

"Teddy thinks you're hiding something from us. You and Dad, he thinks something happened when you went to see Madam Pomfrey but you just don't want to tell us what it is."

The two boys were so busy having a glare off that they didn't notice the way Harry's mouth slammed shut or the way he had to swallow more than three times to get rid of the metaphorical lump in his throat. His stomach gave an uncomfortable lurch as if it's placement could be controlled merely by talking about it. He thought back to the pamphlets the healer gave him about whether that was really something that could happen, in which case he would sit and whisper sweet nothings to his organs all day long if it meant he would stop feeling like they were clawing their way out of him.

Presumably he stayed quiet for too long because both boys stopped their glaring to move over to him with worried faces and be chuckled because in that moment they looked like their father's.