•doce•

"Well...see, we were out on the pitch and-"

As Teddy told the story both Harry and Draco followed along and made surprised noises at the appropriate moments. Even when speaking through a duck bill, Teddy was still a very good story teller. He usually told the Christmas stories during Holidays at the Burrow. Seeing that break was only a week or so away, he may have to step down for a year.

"Okay...so what I'm gathering is you did something you probably shouldn't have done because you were trying to help your friend," Harry was nodding understandably.

"Probably? Potter, he definitely shouldn't have been jumping from his broom."

"Draco-"

"No, Potter. You're just feeling too...lenient right now."

"No," said Harry turning angrily to face his husband. "Finish what you were going to say. 'I'm too emotional right now' I'm not seinf clearly because I'm being a 'mother hen Gryffindor'. Or maybe it's the 'hormones' talking. He saved someone and no one got seriously hurt, by all definitions it's been a good day."

"By whose standards?" Draco snapped staring intently back at him.

"Mine!" Harry said back just as vehemently.

"Harry, we aren't in the middle of war anymore! This isn't normal!" He motioned over at the still currently billed boy laying in the bed. "Teddy getting hurt and thinking it's okay just because it's for the-greater-good isn't okay. You thinking that isn't okay. You're both worth just as much than anyone else. You're actually worth more to me and Scorp."

"Draco, he's fine!"

"Harry he has two bloody broken bones! That is not fine! How do you not get that?"

"Bones heal, okay? I'm sorry if I'm not crying or berating him like you want me to. And I get it, we aren't in war anymore, but that's why I know that this part is okay. This- this knowing he's going to make it. He isn't going to die. He isn't already-" Harry took a deep breath and looked away, placing a calming hand on his stomach.

"I just don't think you're seeing what I'm seeing, love," Draco said through clenched teeth, trying to calm down.

"I see the same exact thing you see. I saw it the very first time he broke his hand playing quidditch at The Burrow. Or when he had to get stitches above his eye for tripping out of the floo. He's going to get hurt, we all are. That's why it's okay."

"Harry-"

"No, Draco listen. You've seen people die, I know that. You've seen people be tortured and you've done some things- we both have, but at the end of the day you got to walk out of that with your parents. You got to leave knowing they were going to be okay even for a day or so. Some of us didn't get that luxury, I've seen too many people I love get ripped away from me, right in front of my eyes. I know you know what that feels like. I remember what you felt like when it happened." He pointed at Teddy. "What do you see?"

Draco grudgingly turned around to look at the blue haired boy in the bed.

"Teddy's in a hospital bed with a broken arm and a broken shin and a few fractured toes and-"

"You want to know what I see," the ravenette spoke, cutting him off mid-description. "Teddy, in a hospital bed. Alive. He's learned a few lessons about broom safety along the way, but he's mostly together."

"He's alive," the blonde breathed out all at once, as if the most obvious answer was also the most awe inspiring. Harry nodded slowly as if reaffirming it.