C H A P T E R - T H R E E

§

The class had just ended.

The students protested against saying the enchantment, but they almost had no choice. Only Fox could resist anything that time around. Jessica wasn't deeply affected. She only bit her lip and closed her eyes, feeling something but not letting it get to her. Damien did almost the same thing but also rubbed his face, hiding it from view. Fletcher held his hands into fists and placed them behind his back, putting his head down and briefly gasping.

Ella and Trevor were the most affected. Ella was shaking her head as she sat on her knees on the ground, gasping like Fletcher was and trying to hide from something invisible. Trevor was close to tears, but not only because of the temptation. It reminded him of his past, and how he never wanted to experience it again. And he was. At that school. He would never escape it.

After that lesson they were shooed off to lunch. Only Jessica knew where the lunchroom was because she was taking note of where everything was while walking, and left everyone else wondering where it was. After about ten minutes everyone found their way.

Mr. Barla stood behind the kitchen and served their meal; mashed potatoes with green beans and a choice of either a hamburger or a cheese burger. There were a three tables. Ella, Jessica and Marisa sat at one table, and Teony hesitated before joining them. She looked back at another table to see Fox sitting alone, and she decided to sit with him instead. When she sat down next to him he smiled at her and she smiled back, and it was a silence until Rafe and Trevor joined and started talking. Fletcher and Raven also ended up sitting there, eating instead of talking. Jackson, Damien and Rum also sat at one table, and started talking about themselves and their backstories.

"Is it just me or is this academy too good to be true?" Jessica asked Ella and Marisa, still starstruck.

"It's not just you," Marisa reassured. She looked at them mysteriously and hushed her voice. "Something's going on here. I don't know if it's the books or the tapestries or even Mr. Barla, but I just feel like this school is more than it seems."

"Marisa, this is magic we are talking about, of course it's not gonna be a normal academy," Ella whispered.

"Yeah, but who uses dark magic to keep us away from it?" Marisa argued. Ella and Jessica stayed quiet. "I'm looking around tonight."

"Are you mad?" Jessica gasped. "If Mr. Barla finds out-"

"He won't find out," She interrupted. "And if he does, I just say that I wanted to get a snack and I couldn't find the kitchen."

Ella sighed. "You better be right Marisa."

"I am, trust me."

Rafe and Trevor picked at their food, wondering if they should eat it. Fletcher looked at them, and spoke; "You alright? You had quite the reaction back in the classroom."

"I'm fine," Trevor snapped. He didn't want to bring it up, and looked down. Rafe didn't answer.

"I know you're not," Raven said. "I didn't get to see Rafe but I saw you out of the corner of my eye."

Trevor didn't see her lips move, so his eyes stayed down. Everybody else got the hint, and didn't bring it up. "Teony, how come you didn't do anything? I know Fox said the incantation right," Fletcher asked.

"I don't know, I didn't feel anything," She said in a hushed tone.

"How is that even possible?" Rafe contradicted, putting a piece of potatoes in her mouth.

"I don't know," Teony repeated, a little louder this time.

"I didn't do anything either," Fox pointed out. "I don't know what it means, maybe we're different or something?"