C H A P T E R - T W E N T Y - S I X

§

There were no words to describe how the students felt as they looked onto their deceased teacher. They were confused, scared, upset, and even a little guilty. It was obvious that the body had been there for at least a day, so they felt bad for not seeing it earlier.

"I-I don't think I can handle this," Raven said, backing up. She put her hands up like she was trying to block Mr. Barla from view. She stayed close to Teony who, even if she was disgusted, could not look away from the teacher. How long had he been down there? Did he actually write those notes? Were they judging him on false information?

But the most important question she could think of was who had done it.

And that was the one that she was completely clueless on.

"Guys, I-I think we should go, it's obviously not safe down here-" Fletcher said nervously. 

"No, we can't leave. We need to figure out what killed him," Teony said.

"What?" Raven asked. "You don't think it was a human?"

"Well, maybe, I don't know. But you get my point."

"Teony's right," Ella agreed. "When I came down here I was so scared that I ran right out, but there has to be some clue." Raven bent down by the teacher, noticing a small slip of paper sticking out of his pocket. 

"Found it," She said, unfolding it all of the way. Everybody went towards her besides Trevor, reading it in their heads.

Dear my beloved students,

I apologize that this must have been found under extreme inconvenience but I am in a rather big hurry. As soon as I came downstairs to tidy up the academy and noticed a letter signed by me saying that I had left, I knew something was wrong. I never wrote a letter of any sort besides this one. I would never abandon you. Well, not by choice. Because as I am writing this I have a feeling that my life will be at its end soon. But I want you to know that any note not written in this handwriting is not me, and probably a message from my killer.

If you are reading this, then I know my life has ended. And there are probably very little of you left as well, which I am extremely sorry for. I wanted to show you so much here, and so I don't take too long writing this I will tell you only one that will be absolutely necessary. Flip to page 139 in Alfred's book.

I'm sorry I've failed all of you.

-Mr. Herman Barla

Raven dropped the note in shock, but Trevor picked up after her. "Oh my god," Fletcher said quietly, falling to the ground and onto his knees.

"All this time we thought he had it out for us," Ella started. "but he was a victim too, just like Jessica."

"This is why Mr. Barla's notes always lead to trouble. He didn't write them," Raven realized. "The person who wrote them knew what was happening, so they could set up clues that would distract us, and while we weren't paying attention, they would murder someone else."

Trevor put down the note, his face in shock. After he got over the surprise, he looked at Ella. "How'd you find this?" He asked her, suspicious. The others were surprised with his words, since it was the first time he had spoken since he saw Rafe, but that was the least important thing on his mind at the moment. It was already too busy.